Laying artificial grass on a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to lay some artificial grass straight on top of part of an existing patio. Three sides of the grass will be running up against raised beds or fences while the fourth edge will cut across the patio leaving it raised/exposed.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I lay the grass on top of a 10mm foam pad that will provide some cushioning? If I don't really need a foam pad what steps do I need to take to lay the grass? Do I need to put sand down first?

2. How can I smooth out the raised edge? I have a 1 year old daughter and this could present a trip hazard. Someone suggested using something like the trim you would use between carpet and tiles.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Suggestions as follows:

1. Should I lay the grass on top of a 10mm foam pad that will provide some cushioning? If I don't really need a foam pad what steps do I need to take to lay the grass? Do I need to put sand down first?

Answer:The shockpad is your own choice however if there is a child’s climbing frame etc it is a “safer” option for the majority of artificial turf we supply, the customer lays the turf on to a base of sand around 50mm (2 inches) which is compacted with a vibrating plate/whacker the area has to be level to avoid any problems with drainage etc.

2. How can I smooth out the raised edge? I have a 1 year old daughter and this could present a trip hazard. Someone suggested using something like the trim you would use between carpet and tiles.

Answer: An option would be to make the level of the grass the same level as the patio to avoid any trip hazard this can be done by digging a little further down (depending on the pile height of the grass) so the grass is laid at the same level as the patio.

[removed]

Good luck

Colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back