Laying ceramic tiles onto a parquet floor? Good or bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lino in my bathroom is in need of replacement. Under the lino I have a parquet floor about 60 years old (house was rebuilt after war before conversion into flats). I want to put down ceramic tiles (15cm square), but am undecided what to lay on.

The gap under the door is large enough so I can lay the tiles on top of the lino witout having to plane the bottom of the door.

Should I just lay the tiles on top of the lino
OR
take up the lino and tile direct onto the existing parquet floor
OR
should I put hardboard down on top of the parquet and tile on top of that.

I haven't taken all the lino up yet to check all the parquet floor is dead flat, but in the rest of my flat it is because its laid direct onto a solid floor (I'm on the ground floor).

After the tiles are laid they'll be a lip between the hallway and the bathroom floor because of the depth of the tiles. Any ideas about something hardwearing to put along it to stop the edges of the tiles being cracked. I need something similar to tile edgng for windows but haven't seen an non-plastic variety anywhere. Am a bit concerned a plastic one would get damaged quickly with people walking on it.

Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Pull it all up, including the parquet, and tile on the screed.

No height difference, nice solid floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back