laying felt back carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have laid hessian backed carpet before with gripper rods and that went ok. I have a carpet stretcher and all that.

Now the carpet that I am getting is felt backed. In my B&Q DIY book it says that I dont need gripper rods. On the gripper rod instructions, it says that they are suitable for hessian backed and felt backed carpet.

The carpet that I have just pulled up was felt backed and there were no gripper rods, and there is underlay down.

Can someone give me some advise:
do I need/want gripper rods (the cost difference is no issue)?
Do I need/want underlay?
Do I need to glue down the carpet if I dont use gripper rods.

Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Andrea

Sponsored Links
i'm bumping this as i too would like to know the answers!

Please guys :(

hi lads you dont need gripper or underlay if you choose not to you will need to use spray adhesive around the edges available from any diy chain not vinyl spray as this wont stick well however for much better result put it on underlay and gripper ie feel and insulation and sound :cool:

Sponsored Links
glued-down carpet is very annoying when you need to lift, whether to do electrical or plumbing work, redecorate, or to take it up and fit new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back