Laying new engineered wood - need oiling post-install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting conflicting advice from various parties, most of them with a vested interest, so thought I would ask for some impartial opinions!

I'm installing engineered wood oak flooring in my house. It is a pre-oiled wood, with already two coats of oil (normal oil, not UV oil).

- The floor supply company says it is not necessary to oil after install, as it is already oiled.
- The installer recommends adding another coat of oil after install.
- Another installer says they are hesitant, because any oiling would change the colour of the floor, so if you're happy with what you see don't add oil and complicate things. (and the floor supply company can't tell me exact oil brand they used).
- Wife thinks I'm mad to consider as the quote for oiling is going to add about another £1.2k to the cost (150sqm worth of oiling)

What is your experience?

Sponsored Links
I had a new floor laid last year, pre treated as yours. I cleaned & re oiled after 6mths.
It wont hurt putting another coat on now & whilst the room is empty its easier to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back