Laying rubber floor tiles - for the first time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm doing my kitchen in a few weeks, and we like the look of rubber studded flooring. Quite pricey - but it's not too big a space.

Can any one advise on how hard this is to lay? I'll be putting down plywood first - probably 4 or 6 mm - but I just want to check if a semi-experienced DIY-er will get the joins looking good, or if it will end up an expensive mistake.

Comments/suggestions gratefully received!

Keith

Sponsored Links
Get a pro in Keith.
But if not, make sure you ply out correct and get the right adhesive.
You can get interlocking rubber tiles which might be better for DIY

Get a pro in Keith.
But if not, make sure you ply out correct and get the right adhesive.
You can get interlocking rubber tiles which might be better for DIY

what Daz says !

unless your using interlocking i think i would give rubber tiles a miss. Vinyl tiles are easier but the prep has to be 100%

Its not as simple of sticking plywood down, you need to skim joints etc also and glue selection needs to be correct

Thanks for the replies.

I'd had a look through the technical information from Polymas for their stud flooring - and while not easy, it at least looked like there weren't too many variables.

However, based on these responses I might have to abandon rubber tiles and think about ceramic (unfortunately my wife doesn't like vinyl tiles/roll or I'd think about that).

Thanks for the info though.

Keith

Sponsored Links
I have just laid my bathroom floor with studded tiles. It was not that difficult I used a combination on standard stanly blades for straight cuts and a metal rule and hocked Stanley's for cutting in around toilet etc. I found that by first laying the easy tiles gave me a starting point for when cutting around fiddly bits e.g I could match 2 sides of a tile up to where it should be and then bend the tile hard down around obstacle cut the majority off with hookie and then slowly trim bit by bit off. What made the job tons easier was that I refitted the skirting boards to allow the width of a tile to slide under negating a lot of fiddly cuts/In filling with strips.

I also loosened the sink nuts and fitted under the supporting leg. I did not start in the centre of the room as bathroom only small and very out of squar instead I took bath panel off and layed up to the battern for a straight uniform edge along the bottom of bath which Is right I'm front as entering room. Give it a go it took me 5. Hours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back