Laying stone patio on separate beds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm preparing to lay a natural stone patio approx 30sqm, foot traffic only, part of it involves a 4m wide circle feature which is going to take 12 weeks as it has to be manufactured.

I'm considering laying the 'rest' of the patio anyway, stopping a couple feet short of the circle, just to get it done.

Is it going to cause a problem though, because the patio will be laid on two separate beds 12 weeks apart? Thinking about the beds not being stuck together, potentially leading to differential movement?

I'm planning on using an SBR mortar mix for the bed, I was thinking I could leave a load of stainless wall ties sticking out to help tie the two beds together, but I'd hate for that to become a cracking point...

The sub base is about 35mm of new hardcore laid on top of old hardcore (from a 50 year old patio), then about 50mm of SBR mortar.

Thanks for any input.

Rich

Sponsored Links
there will be noproblem. cold joints like that are found in nearly every largeish patio anyway as its laid over a few days. No need for wall ties

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back