laying topup insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft currently has insulating material between the joists; at some places close to the eaves it is almost 250 mm at other places along the same joists it is 100 mm.
I want to top up the loft insulation so that it is atleast 250 mm throughout the loft.

Should I straightaway lay the Knaufp Space Blanket insulation material of thickness 150 mm over & across the existing insulation material at right angles to the joist
OR
Do I need to first even out the areas between the joist where it has 250mm insulation and bring it down to 100mm and then lay the topup insulation?

I also have an area in the loft, which is boarded where I can store stuff. It is insulated below the boards. Do I need to install loft insulation material on top of the boards? I want to continue using the area for storage but want to insulate that area as well. Would it be useful if I lay the blanket insulating material of 150mm area in this area too and store boxes on top of it? Would the insulating material be damaged in this case if I store boxes on it or stand on this area ?

I actually wanted to have this done through a professional loft-insulation company but they say that currently there is no grants available for tops of 100/150 mm or 4 inches which is what is required and it looks like it would work out cheaper if I do it myself.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back