Laying insulation over electric cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought Knauf Space blanket rolls to top up the loft insulation in the loft of my house thinking it would be a straightforward task!. The existing insulation laying between the joists is level with the joist tops so I plan to lay the Space blanket rolls at right angles to the joists as suggested in the instructions. Knauf says 'Do not lay insulation over electric wiring; lay the existing wiring on top of the insulation'. The problem is that there is a lot of wiring across the roof space all of which is clipped to the joists below the top of the existing insulation. Where it disappears through the ceilings through holes, the cabling travels between joists. Even unclipping all the cabling from the joist (which would take ages) would not help as there is no slack in the cabling to enable me to lay any of it above the new extra layer of insulation. In reality it seems impossible to abide by this instruction without a complete rewire So what do I do?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back