Loft insulation with 7cm joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking to sort out the insulation in my loft. One half of the loft is part boarded currently, the other half has 100mm of insulation laid on top of the joists with scraps in between.

The joists are only 7cm deep - at least until you hit the top of the lath and plaster ceilings. On the non-boarded side this shouldn't matter, I was planning on laying more insulation on top of the existing stuff to make it up to 270mm.

But on the part boarded side, things are tricky. I can take up the current boards, and lay extra joists at 90 degrees - but is it feasible to increase the joists by 200mm to give space to lay the insulation rolls?

Or there's the Knauf Loft Boards which can be laid on top of existing boards, but they're working out at ~500 quid for a 6m x 4m area.

Anyone got any general advice or options which I'm not aware of? Any help from people with similar problems would be appreciated.

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
you could use a PU insulation board such as celotex laid over your joists,you would need amuch thinner board and you could refix your boards back to the joists directly through them without the need for any extra timbers 100mm over your existing insulation would probably see you close.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back