LCD tv screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure where to post this really (appliances seem to be mostly washers dryers cookers etc) I've just knocked over my lcd tv and smashed the screen, it was only a cheapish 32" hd ready from Aldi, would screen replacement be possible /cost effective its still under warranty, but no accidental damage cover, i'll have to check house insurance

Sponsored Links
The screen is the TV so to speak, so replacement would likely be more expensive than buying new due to labour charges.

Your home contents insurance may cover it if you have accidental damage included, but I would read the small print first as you may have an excess that makes it more viable in the long run to simply buy a new one yourself as this will not be a claim marked against you then.

have to agree, why bother reading insurance small print, (and as said you will have a claim listed against you) when you can save time hassle and grief and go and buy a new one.

Perhaps you should spend twice as much and get a bigger one so you cant knock this one over

breezer said:
Perhaps you should spend twice as much and get a bigger one so you cant knock this one over

Bolt to the wall so it cannot fall over. ( also makes it harder to steal ).

Also be aware that some LCD screens may contain toxic materials and advice from the manufacturer about safe disposal should be followed.

Sponsored Links
that may be true, but who is really going to do that?

and yes bolting it to the wall does make it harder to steall, but they will break it getting it off, everyone loses.

I know of a break in (many years ago) a well known store had camcorders on display. all secured by little monopods (tripod but with only 1 leg, honest)

The burglars did not want to be there long so they snapped the cam corders off, this was known becuse apart from the cctv footage little bits of camcorder were left on the monopods.

so the cam corders were of no use to anyone

If the screen has smashed, you may well have knackerd the leccy gubbins int' back. Best off doin as t'others say and go get a new one without bothering the nice insurance folks.

I got a 36" wharfdale HD ready LCD from Argos for around £300. Really good for the money.

Hmm, seem to have spellcheck set to 'Northern'.. :confused:

breezer said:
and yes bolting it to the wall does make it harder to steall, but they will break it getting it off, everyone loses.
So you're saying if he doesn't bolt it to the wall at least the burglars will be able to use it? If he's not going to be using it, why should he give a flying f**k whether the bloke that stole it is getting some use out of it? :rolleyes: Come on breezer.

gcol said:
breezer said:
So you're saying if he doesn't bolt it to the wall at least the burglars will be able to use it? If he's not going to be using it, why should he give a flying f**k whether the bloke that stole it is getting some use out of it? :rolleyes: Come on breezer.

Long time no post for me..how you doing folks..hope you've been well..

Anyway into the fray..gcol..I am not sure Breezer meant it quite like that, or perhaps I read it wrong??

Sparky Jim is right.

suppose it is fixed then they smash it, or if they cant get it off they will still smash it.
Yes you can probably claim on insurance, but if its not fixed and they get disturbed they will leave it, so you can then put it back.

Its a bit like locking internal doors, you should not do it, as they create more damage than if they were not locked

I think I read it right, it was pretty clear.
breezer said:
The burglars did not want to be there long so they snapped the cam corders off, this was known becuse apart from the cctv footage little bits of camcorder were left on the monopods.
so the cam corders were of no use to anyone
breezer said:
suppose it is fixed then they smash it, or if they cant get it off they will still smash it.
So what? If it's not fixed, they'll take it. Either way YOU won't be using it again. At least if it's fixed, THEY won't get the use out of it.

i can see you do not see my point. nver mind i will get my coat.

as devils advocate on this matter i would like to point out i know a guy who claims once evry 6 months on his house insurance for various things.

he claims his insurance is not much worse than mine and he gets a new whatever every 6 months.

Insurance companies are not stupid. Regular claims get flagged, and will get investigated.

breezer said:
Sparky Jim is right.

Yes you can probably claim on insurance, but if its not fixed and they get disturbed they will leave it, so you can then put it back.

Its a bit like locking internal doors, you should not do it, as they create more damage than if they were not locked

I've never understood that either, replacing the door/frame is a minor expense compared to replacing stolen goods. If it slows them down then they'll have less time to spend in other rooms/ more chance of being disturbed or making noise which might alert neigbours. Plus more chance of them doing their shoulder in trying to break down the door, plus they could leave bootprints if they kick it in.
If they are gonna rob me I'm gonna make them work for it :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back