lead burning joints in box gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am lead flashing a box gutter and would like to weld the joints at the 90 degree turns. Has anyone got any advice on this procedure?

It is worth noting that I will be working at the top of a ladder so I was hoping to use a MAPP or similar hand held gas burner and just scrape the overlapping surfaces clean, then heat together.

Thanks for any advice

Dave Cooke

ps. I have been advised by a builder to just use lead mastic on all the joints to permit expansion/contraction - however I can't help thinking these joints will degrade too quickly?

Sponsored Links
Dave the only advice I can give you is to practice as much as you can on some scrap lead
I always use oxeye cetaline with and O2 nozzle kit and a number 2 to 4 nozzle .

Cut a thin strip of lead about 4mm thick to make a welding rod , with your heat be gentle and try and get heat into the top and bottom bits of lead that you are trying to weld then just as you see them start to melt add lead from your welding rod just a quick dab and take the heat away .

You can just melt the top piece onto the bottom piece but it will not be strong and will crack with expansion/contraction .
You must make shore that all the lead is clean the cleaner it is the easier it will weld .

Just practice and when you think you got it give it a go , as you WILL find out it will not take much heat
Good luck :D

With no oxy-acetelene kit you could try lapping and soldering,using a blowlamp and a roll of solder.I tend to melt the filler rod and roll the blob into the pool when leadburning.....just different strokes ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back