Lead flashing repair above extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The attached image shows the lead flashing around my rear roof which overhangs a several years old extension at the back of my property. I have been noticing some water ingress into the room below the roof during heavy rain so I decided to get the ladder out and go take a look. The tiles all looked okay visually, apart from some moss growth which I have now cleared off. The one thing that did concern me was the flashing. Firstly, there is a length of coax running underneath the flashing - this is now no longer required so I am hoping to carefully lift the flashing and remove it (it's cut both ends so hopefully straightforward). My main concern is the corner of the flashing where the sections meet - there is some debris between the flashing and a gap. The flashing is still reasonably flexible, would it be possible for me to reshape the section on top and possibly apply some sort of sealant between the sheets to help improve the water flow over the roof? Thanks in advance, Ed.

PXL_20240128_130658830 (1).jpg

Sponsored Links
The overlap of the flashing looks wrong to me - the open end should face downhill. Open edge uphill, serves no purpose, than to funnel water in.

There appear to be a few layers, someone clearly got a little carried away. Thinking that top layer needs removing and then investigate what lies beneath...

The attached image shows the lead flashing around my rear roof which overhangs a several years old extension at the back of my property. I have been noticing some water ingress into the room below the roof during heavy rain so I decided to get the ladder out and go take a look. The tiles all looked okay visually, apart from some moss growth which I have now cleared off. The one thing that did concern me was the flashing. Firstly, there is a length of coax running underneath the flashing - this is now no longer required so I am hoping to carefully lift the flashing and remove it (it's cut both ends so hopefully straightforward). My main concern is the corner of the flashing where the sections meet - there is some debris between the flashing and a gap. The flashing is still reasonably flexible, would it be possible for me to reshape the section on top and possibly apply some sort of sealant between the sheets to help improve the water flow over the roof? Thanks in advance, Ed.

View attachment 331184
Hilarious. Obviously not schooled in gravity and direction of flow, lol.

Sponsored Links
Before attempting any repairs, ensure you thoroughly clean out any debris or moss from the area where the flashing meets and overlaps. This will give you a clearer view of the condition and allow for better adhesion of any sealant. Carefully inspect the lead flashing for any visible damage or weaknesses. If the flashing is still in good condition and only has a gap at the corner, you may be able to reshape it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back