Lead paint / dichloromethane / methylene chloride

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm stripping the stairs case/spindles in a 1920s house.

There's 5 or so layers of different paint. The oldest 2 are lead based, according to the lead test kit.

I'm using a dichloromethane / methylene chloride paint stripper (what Nitromors used to be until dichloromethane /methylene chloride was removed from the recipe).

Anyhow, the stripper demolishes the non lead based paint.

It's kind of effective on the lead based, it sort of softens it and most of it comes off with scraping (instead of just blistering and peeling off).

Effort is 10% on the first 3 layers, 90% on the last 2.

Is there a more effective stripper for these ancient lead paints? Or is elbow grease the only way forward?

Appreciate your help

First layers off like a dream
Screenshot_20211117-183956_Gallery.jpg

Last layers stubborn
Screenshot_20211117-184013_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why not use a heat gun? Set it at about 450 degrees to reduce the risk of burning the lead paint and releasing fumes. If you opt for a higher temperature keep the gun moving faster.

You could always remove the spindles and send then off to be dipped.

Last edited:
Not happy with the idea of a heat gun. I guess some wet sanding may help (to prevent gas)

No chance of removing the spindles, logistically impossible

Not happy with the idea of a heat gun. I guess some wet sanding may help (to prevent gas)

No chance of removing the spindles, logistically impossible

The advice to stick to 450 degrees is from the Health and Safety executive. Personally, I set my gun to the max- 650 degrees and full speed.

Whilst not in any way trying to make light of the dangers of lead, I have been decorating for over 30 years, primarily in Victorian homes which will have many layers of lead paint. My exposure to lead in dust will be far higher than the average DIYer. I have no reason to believe that the lead that I have been exposed to has harmed me in any significant way.

Sponsored Links
The advice to stick to 450 degrees is from the Health and Safety executive. Personally, I set my gun to the max- 650 degrees and full speed.

I have no reason to believe that the lead that I have been exposed to has harmed me in any significant way.

well,...
Lead causes cognitive decline!

I am using stripper on my stair treads because I suspect lead (50's house) but the banisters are recent.
using wire wool and stripper (obviously with big gloves) and a sort of up and down with a bit of a twist action will work.
Very hard not to chuck in a Winker joke

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back