Lead Pipe replacement/New Water Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the lead pipe to our property (Anglian Water do it FOC). I am running to a new entry point so it comes in under the kitchen sink. I could use an Insuduct to come in externally, but I want to know if I can dig under the foundations to bring the pipe inside? I have had to dig the floor out internally, down to the foundations, to fix a steel wind post to. Our 1930's semi has shallow strip foundations which would be easy to get under, unlike modern houses with deeper ones.

Sponsored Links
Yes, no reason not to, you just need to run a duct into the house. It'll still need to be reasonably deep, 750mm at a min if it's to follow the regs.

Slight change of plan in that I will go over the foundations and through the wall, meaning the external pipe will be above 750mm. Therefore, I plan to use Shallow duct and their pipe insulation through the wall, over footings, and down to the 750mm deep. I'll then use 110mm soil pipe and 90 degree elbow to come up the inside wall to floor level.

Which type/spec of insulation should I use in the 110 pipe? And how do I seal it? Do I have to use a rubber bung?

Thanks.

Even a rest bend in the 110 will be a bit tight radius for 25mm MDPE. Might be better with 2 x 45s and a short straight. Insulation- expanding foam (much though I hate the stuff) would work. Or good quality pipe lagging (Armacell, though you'll have to be careful it doesn't get knocked off going round the bend). Sealing it- use an end cap, drill a hole the right diameter, silicon. If you seal the outside end as well (same method) you could use rockwool as the insulation

Sponsored Links
Slight change of plan in that I will go over the foundations and through the wall, meaning the external pipe will be above 750mm. Therefore, I plan to use Shallow duct and their pipe insulation through the wall, over footings, and down to the 750mm deep. I'll then use 110mm soil pipe and 90 degree elbow to come up the inside wall to floor level.

Which type/spec of insulation should I use in the 110 pipe? And how do I seal it? Do I have to use a rubber bung?.
Probably best asking Anglian Water, as it’ll be them signing off unless you’re using a Wiaps/Water safe plumber, in which case - ask them.
Even a rest bend in the 110 will be a bit tight radius for 25mm MDPE. Might be better with 2 x 45s and a short straight.
I used a bend approx 15 years ago with a bend using 25mm mdpe and didn’t have issues, can’t remember which bend though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back