Leaded light repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought an Edwardian property with a multitude of casement windows fitted with diamond leaded lights.

The cement between the lead and the glass is crumbling away in places to a black dust but I read that the windows have to be laid flat whilst new cement dries out (with whiting to speed it up) otherwise it oozes everywhere. Does anyone know of a solution for replacing/patching up areas of cement with the window in situ.

I also have one or two broken panes of glass. The lead seems quite malleable so can I simply fold it all back, remove and replace the broken pane, fold back the lead and cement (as above).

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're really worried take the casement out and board it up with ply as a tempoary measure, but to be honest I've seen these types of windows done insitue with no adverse effects.
I've also seen glass replaced as you suggest but you will need to be careful not to split the lead which would require a soldered repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back