Leak advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, any advice would be greatly appreciated...

I am very much plumbing and heating illiterate and was hoping somebody could clarify the following for me.

I am trying to identify the cause of a leak we had from our washing machine valve which caused a lot of water damage to the flat below. At the time of the leak we just had a new combi boiler fitted (we previously had a back-boiler system) and basically i need to know if the increase in pressure in the pipes due to the new boiler system could have caused the washing machine valve seal to spring a leak? (The things is i dont know how everything is connected up and what effects what)

I know that the pressure in the boiler was set too high because the 'overflow' pipe from the boiler was leaking water and we had to get the plumber back out to sort it.

This is driving me mad, insurance and all...
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, any advice would be greatly appreciated...
pressure in the pipes due to the new boiler system could have caused the washing machine value seal to spring a leak? (The things is i dont know how everything is connected up and what effects what)
Many thanks.

Yes it could.

I know that the pressure in the boiler was set too high because the 'overflow' pipe from the boiler was leaking water and we had to get the plumber back out to sort it.

That would probably be the boiler pressure relief (safety) valve. It is on the sealed circuit serving the boiler & radiators, the water has corrosion inhibitors in it and will not come out of the hot taps or go into the washing machine.

The hot water supply to the taps and washing machine comes from the water mains, via a plate heat exchanger in the boiler (which heats it).

Simple answer; the domestic hot water formerly came from the loft tank (at low pressure) via a hot water cylinder which heated it. It now comes from the water mains (higher pressure) via a plate heat exchanger.

Thanks very much for your input, helps a lot. So i can conclude that the pressure of the new boiler was the likely cause. Obviously, when i asked the guys that did the installation they said that it wasn't related.

Sponsored Links
..i need to know if the increase in pressure in the pipes due to the new boiler system could have caused the washing machine valve seal to spring a leak?
No. Washers are designed to work on mains.

you cant blame the plumbers for the washing machine.if external could be an argument.we always make aware before istallation to customers were not responsible for pressurising old pipework. and leaks appearing. coarse we will fix them but its not our responsibility for existing pipework.as for a washing machine i wouldnt hold your hopes up of the plumber taking responsibility due to internal fault.

Thats NOT the reason the plumber is not liable for any problems within the washing machine!

The reason is that the washing machine is designed to accept water at mains pressure.

Any failure is therefore as a result of fair wear and tear if it failed after the pressure was increased to mains which it is designed to take.

Tony

Thats NOT the reason the plumber is not liable for any problems within the washing machine!

The reason is that the washing machine is designed to accept water at mains pressure.

Any failure is therefore as a result of fair wear and tear if it failed after the pressure was increased to mains which it is designed to take.

Tony
Not sure if i read this correctly, i assumed that he was talking about the service valve feeding the washer being the cause of the leak.
A fairly common fault and the increase in pressure from vented to sealed system could easily be enough to fail an old or lose sealing washer.

A fairly common fault and the increase in pressure from vented to sealed system could easily be enough to fail an old or lose sealing washer
Ok i'll re-conclude... It caused the leak, but its not likely the plumber is liable for my old seal failing.

It was mentioned to my insurance company that we had work done at the time and they wanted to blame the plumber... We said we didn't really want to involve them (too much hassle), but they said it was against their policy and they have to pursue it...

Sorry but i smell a 'don't want to pay my excess' line here.

My guess is your hoping they will refund your excess if you can pin a leak on the installers........dream on, all that will happen is they will write to installer telling em it was there fault and he will get his PL insurer to tell em to get stuffed....the fault is due to a faulty seal or a seal not sufficiently tightened enough on an appliance designed to take mains pressure.......a non stater for sure

Sorry but i smell a 'don't want to pay my excess' line here
Think you're reading into this too much... i asked for advice, which i was given, I'd establish that the plumber ain't liable. Thats it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back