Leak between cistern and bowl?

OK, that'll probably need a drop of silicone on both sides of the rubber sealing washer inside the cistern roger and it probably needs a new fibre washer where the connector fits onto the inlet valve pipe. :(
Oh BTW, the dual flush should work by how far the rod pushes down, if you hold the button down when flushing do you get a normal flush?

Sponsored Links
OK, that'll probably need a drop of silicone on both sides of the rubber sealing washer inside the cistern roger and it probably needs a new fibre washer where the connector fits onto the inlet valve pipe. :(
Oh BTW, the dual flush should work by how far the rod pushes down, if you hold the button down when flushing do you get a normal flush?

Think I’ll pack it with tissues for now – if I tried it again tonight I’d probably commit an act of mass destruction afterwards. Aaaaaah, didn’t know that about the rod. Will investigate further. So presumably the little button doesn't go down as far, and so prevents you from pushing the big button fully down too…

OK, that'll probably need a drop of silicone on both sides of the rubber sealing washer inside the cistern roger and it probably needs a new fibre washer where the connector fits onto the inlet valve pipe

You see, I always thought that using silicone somewhere like that wasn’t “proper”, and that a real plumber wouldn't do it, but would somehow fix the whole thing so it didn’t leak…

Am I wrong? Or is it just because that’s the only way to get somebody like me out of a hole?

OK, that'll probably need a drop of silicone on both sides of the rubber sealing washer inside the cistern roger and it probably needs a new fibre washer where the connector fits onto the inlet valve pipe

You see, I always thought that using silicone somewhere like that wasn’t “proper”, and that a real plumber wouldn't do it, but would somehow fix the whole thing so it didn’t leak…

Am I wrong? Or is it just because that’s the only way to get somebody like me out of a hole?

You're wrong ;) silicone has its uses and your case sounds like one, i always use it on single taps, theres some heavy handed people out there, a lot of plumbers i know don't.

Sponsored Links
As gigz says roger, silicone is needed sometimes. It's especially handy when fitting replacement parts onto old systems. I use it in these cases as a belt n braces approach as the new parts don't sit right sometimes. It doesn't need a lot just enough to take up any imperfections in the cistern. The key point is super clean and dry before applying.

That’s reassuring – I’m something of a perfectionist, unfortunately, and silicone doesn’t feel like perfection. But if it’s what plumbers sometimes do, then it's fine :mrgreen:

I think it’s mostly the joint from the inlet pipe to the valve that’s leaking now, so I’ll need to get a pack of spare washers. What kind/size do I ask for please? The pipe seems a little over half and inch, coming off one of those little isolator taps.

FINALLY – a dry floor, and a properly working toilet. Till next time…

Two observations:

1. Never, never, NEVER again;
2. Without you guys, I'd have committed suicide.

If anybody ever needs any computer advice, feel free to get in touch.

If it's an ideal standard you will need an ideal standard do nut or you won't seal it

Well, you got that right – that’s exactly what it is.

Although I did manage to get a seal in the end using a different doughnut, I’d love to replace the seal on my other toilet with the genuine article – any idea where I can get one please? My plumber’s merchant hasn’t got them…

Only joined the forum today,but I'm pretty sure what's been going on.
In my (far too long) experience the donut washer rarely leaks when replaced UNLESS the cistern is not sitting squarely on the pan.
Sometimes the cistern's relationship to the pan is altered after installation. Usually due to packing being added at the rear top-a new layer of tiles perhaps.The existing washer probably stretched and maintained the seal.
The only way round this is to remove the entire toilet,reassemble the cistern to the pan and test-DO THIS OUTSIDE filling the cistern with a bucket.
Once you are confident the leak is fixed reinstall the assembled toilet.
BAD NEWS- none of the plumbing may now line up properly and may have to be altered.
TIP-When all is finished smear heavy grease over the exposed fixing bolts-future plumbers will admire your foresight should the siphon (flushing bit) need repair/replacement.
Finally-select your favourite paperback and take full advantage of your good work.Remember to lower trousers first :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back