1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow flush from cistern - new toilet

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Deisler, 1 Sep 2020.

1. Deisler

Deisler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good evening,

I just installed a new back-to-wall toilet unit with new concealed cistern. Everything works fine, apart from the flush from the cistern into the bowl is slow.

The flush from the bowl into the waste/soil pipe looks normal. The fill value works ok too.

I do not understand how the flush from the cistern can be slow on a new toilet unit. There is very little water coming out of the holes at the front side of the bowl. I checked the holes - they are not blocked.

Any idea why this happens?

* When I fit the flush pipe (the one connects the cistern to the bowl), I remember I cut the length of the pipe so that it goes right to the end of the hole when I push the toilet back to the unit. Do you think this would cause the issue?

Cheers,
    Jamie

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Chris_W

Chris_W

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not usually, it’s usually a restriction of some sort. Have you checked the flush pipe, and the holes where it connects to?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Deisler

Deisler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The flush pipe is new. I did not check the holes it connects to (because everything is new...).

The problem is I have already silicone-sealed the toilet with the unit. So before I cut the silicone and make a mess, I want to know exactly what I should check.

I forgot to add that the water level in the tank is also correct - filling only 20mm below the overflow pipe.

5. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some cones have a stop around the circumference to stop the flush tube going in all the way

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris_W

Chris_W

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’ve had loads of “new” installs, only to find their flush isn’t strong, take apart and voila, tile spacers clogging up the new flush pipe :whistle:

7. Deisler

Deisler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I kinda hope mine does not have that, so it will be an easy fix, i.e. cutting the flush pipe, although I need to cut all the silicone off first.... grrr

8. Deisler

Deisler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just to leave a note here that it was indeed caused by the flush pipe being inserted too tight. Cut the pipe by 10mm and problem solved.....

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sponsored Links