Back to Wall toilet vanity issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First posting. I've done hours of research on flush pipes, toilet leaks etc etc but I have the following problem/question and hoped someone could advixe.
I have a back to wall toilet with a concealed cistern that is located in a vanity unit. The unit is just a box with a lid at the top to access the cistern. Similar to the wc unit listed on page 15 here: http://www.bemodern.co.uk/pdf/aquis-bathroom-brochure.pdf but much smaller with access from the top only.

I have had problems with a leaking flush pipe, both cistern/pipe and pipe/bowl.
I fixed the cistern/pipe issue but I am having extreme difficulty in fixing the pipe/bowl leak.
It is impossible to get enough purchase on the flush pipe to get it into the flush pipe cone far enough. Access through the top of the vanity unit is tight to say the least.
If I take the cistern out and connect to the toilet without the vanity unit I can get a really nice seal on the flush pipe.

So to my question - the waste pipe is horizontal coming through the vanity unit. The unit has a hole cut for this and for the flush pipe. I was wondering if it would be possible to extend the hole all the way to the floor. Resulting in a horseshoe shape hole from the floor to up to the flushpipe. This would allow the toilet to be positioned, plumbed in, flush pipe/cistern connected to bowl, test for leaks and then when happy lift the vanity unit into position by sliding down between wall and pan. This also assists in future access as the vanity unit can be easily removed.
My concern is the waste pipe is supported by the vanity unit. Doing the described cut would mean the pipe goes straight from the wall and connects directly to the pan without the interim support. Is this an issue?

Thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
Yes, this should be ok. The soil pipe will be supported by the wall that it passes through, and where it connects to the pan. It's only a short run of pipe, and its plastic so doesn't weigh much. You could always wedge some wood blocks between it and the floor if you can reach inside the cabinet, but it will be fine without.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back