Concealed cistern in vanity unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am fitting a concealed cistern in a vanity unit, and am unsure whether I should hang the cistern on the wall, or on the inside of the unit.

The back of the unit is mostly open, but has a bar across the top. If I have to hang the cistern on the wall behind, it must go under this bar, and is then too low for the flush pipe at the bottom to connect to the pan.

If I hang the cistern on this bar, it is the right height. I've put a picture in my album to show the unit.

The only other alternative is to raise the unit on its legs, but this would make it very high.

Any advice please? What is the normal practise?

Thanks,
Jack

Sponsored Links
No! Really? :)

The reason I haven't cut the flush pipe down yet, is that I don't know how much to cut off, cos I haven't decided yet where to hang the cistern.

When I said it's too low to connect to the flush pipe, I mean the cistern outlet is lower than the pan inlet! If I hang the cistern on the wall below the bar. And that's with the pipe cut down to its minimum.

Mount it on the bar, you'll need to cut the pipe down anyway. If it's on the bar you will then have access to the front panel (assuming it has one) of the cistern when you remove the top vanity unit panel.

Have you set the height of the vanity unit ensuring that the bottom of the front panel touches the floor, from the picture it looks quite high, but could just be how it looks in the pic.

Sponsored Links
I think you're right Mark, it has to go on the bar.
And yes, the cistern access is through the front.

The front panel doesn't go all the way to the floor. Only to the top of the plinth. Then I'll run one continuous plinth all along this and the neighbouring units in one go.

So the height is determined by the plinth, and the motivation to avoid having to trim it down!

Isn't the plinth recessed back slightly, surely you'll then be left with a gap between the pan and the plinth

Yeah, it's a bit wierd, but that's how it comes. I was going to bring the plinth forward as far as possible by padding out the plinth clips with a bit o' timber. Then the gap will only be the thickness of the front panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back