Concealed cistern unit has no access panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have come to install my new toilet and found the vanity unit that the cistern is housed in has no removable panels like normal... at all. Not even the top. The unit come assemble and I cant figure out how to install this. The link is what I have including the pan.
http://www.victoriaplumb.com/Bathroom-Furniture/Toilet-Units/Odessa-Oak-Back-to-Wall-Unit_1215.html

First I thought attach cistern to wall, plumb everything in and then simply slide the whole unit over the top - but the flaw there is you then cant connect the flush button mechanism.

Second i thought attach the cistern to inside the unit, fix it in place and then slide the pan in place onto the pipes - the flaw there is I have no way to check the seals to the pan.

Any help or advice welcome

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to remove the top then and make it permanently removable for any later servicing requirements to the cistern.

If you don't want to do that then I'd get in touch with Vic P. No MI with it I take it?

Thanks.
No MI unfortunately. Ive looked at the others units on the site and they all have removable panels.... except this one.

That has to be one of the most ridiculous bits of design - what happens when you want to service the cistern in a few years time?

Sponsored Links
The top panel should lift off and the rear panel that the toilet sits against should slide up. The trouble is most people silicone the toilet to this panel which means the silicone will have to be cut every time you need access.

Andy

Completely agree, its a stupid design. When ordering I just assumed one of the panels were removable. I have contacted VP and apparently their technical support team will get back to me tomorrow.

Andy, none of the panels lift off at present. Its built like ikea furniture, with those twist and lock screws and dowels, but all the locking screws are on the inside. So yes i could release them to take the top off (assuming they haven't used glue) but then there is no way to secure it back down.

Having looked at it again this morning, I cant even fix the toilet and cistern and drop the unit back on top because of the support strip on the back of the cabinet gets in the way.

All you need to do James is remove the top panel, then screw on 2 batons on the underside of the top at the same width as the inside edges, that then holds the top on. Doesn't need to be super tight just a good fit to stop it moving about.
View media item 66418

Update.
After speaking with VP, they advised me its not faulty and they have never had anyone complain about this unit in the past.
So in short they are just selling poor design cabinets.
Thanks for everyone's help but it seems the solution is to dismantle and rebuild around the toilet after the cistern has been installed.

So you have to cut all your own access holes etc? I still cant see how, once the toilet is connected you then get access to the cistern if needed in the future. Bad design aint the word IMO. I would still have the top as removable for future access.

Thanks Rob.
Essentially I am left with two options. Buy new bathroom furniture that's designed better which will roughly cost me £500 as I have gone over the return date - not to mention they charge £50 return fee and then take an extra 20% off the value for restocking.
Or the option which I'm leaning towards, which is rebuild the cabinet around the toilet with modifications.
If I do this I will attach the back plate and sides, then install the toilet and check for leaks etc. Slide the front panel into place onto some holding brackets that I will design, and the add the top panel last. Hopefully this way I can still remove the top and front if needed for servicing.

Personally I'd claim it is not fit for purpose or alternatively invite the genius (pr*tt) who designed it to come round and fit it

I had mentioned that, but we have 2 other matching units and they will not take those back.
Although its meant to be oak, we cant seem to find other unit that matches the same shade.
Interestingly they still have not advised me on how it is meant to be fitted without dismantling it.

Pi$$ poor design,

As you cant take it back I would do as Madrab has suggested above. Remove the cam connectors from the lid and either fix battens to the underside or magnetic cupboard catches and fit the lid.

Then if you need to service the ball valve you have a fighting chance, if you don't, you may well live to regret it if something goes wrong later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back