holes in WCunit for backtowall toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing back to wall toilet for first time. Have the WC Unit which houses the concealed cistern and the toilet pan & concealed cistern. Panel on unit does not have holes for the soil pipe or the pipe from cistern to the toilet pan. My guess is I need to make these holes in the panel? Any advice on how that is done would be much appreciated.
Is the toilet connected to the soil pipe and then pushed back against the wall unit afterwards?
Once the toilet is fixed into the unit & soil & flush pipe connected, is the only way of removing the panel of unit disconnecting those two pipes if ever I need to gain access to cistern etc.?
Probably daft questions if you've done this many times but my first time! Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
As none of the pros replayed, I'll tell you how we installed the toilet unit in our bathroom. It is Wickes Toulouse unit.

For the cut I measured carefully where the soil pipe is going to be. There is tolerance as the toilet pan covers some area around the hole but still you have to measure twice before cutting. And our pipe is not strictly in the middle of the unit, so I made a cardboard template (used the packaging of the unit). A circus slightly bigger that the pipe and then 2 vertical lines to the bottom end, i.e. the whole area below the pipe is to be cut off, too. This allows the panel to be removed upwards if necessary without disconnecting the toilet pan.

Tried the template, it was OK, so we transferred the drawings to the panel. If your cut is not strictly in the centre, be careful which side you are transferring to. You don't want a hole on the left while the pipe is on the right.

The Power saws normally cut against the base - jigsaws cut on the upstroke. If you are using normal blade, transfer the drawing on the back of the panel and cut from the back. There are laminate blades though, which cut on the downstroke (that is what I used), in this case you should cut from the front of the panel.

Seal the edge with smear of silicone.

According to the instructions our front panel was supposed to hang on plastic brackets attached to the side panels and should be able to slid between the unit and the already fixed toilet pan. Well, we tried and it is physically not possible without scratching the panel. So we glued timber batons to the side panels, drilled 4 holes at the corners of the panel and fixed it to the timber with mirror screws.

The pan is fixed to the floor with plugs and screws. If we have to remove the front panel, we have to unscrew the pan, move it forward about half an inch (but not disconnect), unscrew the panel and pull it up.

Hope this gave you some ideas. Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back