Leak down the neck on a monobloc tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a persistent leak down the neck of this tap which is manufactured by 'watersmith'.

I've clearly overtightened the nut on the thread which has caused the rubber washer inside the tap to over-compress and now the water escapes underneath the tap and down the back of the basin due to a lose of integrity.

Is there a different washer I can use on the tap which will provide the seal I'm after even if it means the the tap will raise off basin surface by a few millimetres ?

Or is there a better solution to this that I should know about ? I would like to avoid buying a new tap as this is relatively new. And it seems that replacing the rubber seal with a new one may not be a long term solution either.

Thanks for any information.

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_140041658.jpg
    IMG_20230113_140041658.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230113_140058693.jpg
    IMG_20230113_140058693.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Are you referring to the seal between the underside of the tap body and basin top ?
Where is water leaking from to get to that point ??

Are you referring to the seal between the underside of the tap body and basin top ?
Where is water leaking from to get to that point ??

Yes the seal between the underside of the tap body and the basin top.

The leak is caused from water when washing hands getting under the tap body

Last edited:
If the correct washer / seal is fitted for your particular tap ,and it's still allowing water to pass ,then your basin top is probably not totally flat . Silicone would seal it . Applied to the underside of the tap / basin top. ( Washer in place too of course )

Sponsored Links
If the correct washer / seal is fitted for your particular tap ,and it's still allowing water to pass ,then your basin top is probably not totally flat . Silicone would seal it . Applied to the underside of the tap / basin top. ( Washer in place too of course )

Thanks Terry,
Is plumbers mate a viable alternative to silicone in this circumstance ? I try to avoid silicone where possible due to not liking or handling the stuff

It would probably work as a seal ,but I would prefer silicone to be frank

Just for the purposes of continuity I used what I had available which was the plumbersmate and lined a whole sausage of it under the tap and slowly tightened creating a seal. There isn't much of a bearing for the tap itself once you take into account the size of the whole. One week on and no drips. May this come in useful for someone in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back