Leak + Expansion tank constantly flowing - related ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently discovered a leak in one of the internal walls of my house. Can see damp on both sides. Already arranged for a plumber to come out and have a look in a couple of days.

Last night I noticed that the hot water cylinder sounded like water was flowing through/into it. When I went up to the loft the expansion tank had a contant trickle of water from the pipe (left side of the tank) that the float is attached to. But it is not reaching the level of the overflow pipe (right side of the tank).

So just wanted to know if this is because of the leak or have I got a 2nd issue ??

Just in case this is relevant. Turned on the heating about 3-4 weeks ago (by turning on the TRVs on each radiator as I have no seperate heating/water controls). One radiator was cold at the bottom and another had no heat. So had a powerflush done last week and the TRV replaced on the cold radiator. No leaks and all radiators are hot. Only noticed the damp afterwards but it looks like its been there for some time so its not been caused by the work done. But I'm assuming this is a result of turning all the heating on.

Sponsored Links
If the ball valve is filling the tank and the level is not getting higher, the rate the water is flowing into the tank is there abouts the rate that its leaking out somewhere.

Powerflushes can cause leaks but it could of just failed too, hard to tell till you expose the pipe and have a look.

I would be pulling the wall out and find the problem, not really what a plumber is for and he will charge from the time he starts.

Thanks.

I was considering opening up the wall to take a look myself. Although the plumber is a relative of a workmate and he does all the associated work and repairs so can get all the work covered off on the house insurance anyway.

Thanks.

I was considering opening up the wall to take a look myself. Although the plumber is a relative of a workmate and he does all the associated work and repairs so can get all the work covered off on the house insurance anyway.

Id check that its covered for damage getting to fix the leak on your insurance policy. Some of my customer say its not.

Sponsored Links
Id check that its covered for damage getting to fix the leak on your insurance policy. Some of my customer say its not.

Funny you should say that as I already checked and its not covered for fixing the leak :rolleyes:

But I am covered to repair damage done by the work and caused by the leak. Luckily the plumber can get all the work arranged so can just add the cost in.

Update on the leak. I took the skirting board off and dug away at the (wet) plaster where I could feel heat and found where the leak is.

There are 3 pipes going under the wall. One solid 20mm metal pipe and 2 other smaller flexible 10mm pipes. When I pull the outer 10mm pipe Water starts bubbling out. Can't actually see the hole/crease as it seems to be underneath and close to tiled flooring. Picture below. The red circle is where I can hear water bubbling out :

Pipe.jpg

So not looking like an easy job to fix to my untrained eye as it may involve lifting up the tiled floor and might need the wall replaced (its a 4-5 foot seperate section luckily) :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back