Leak from butterfly roof with melting snow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday morning with the melting snow I noticed a leak from our butterfly roof. As I currently have scaffold up, I got onto the roof and shovelled off most of the snow that was on the roof and also in the central channel and this stopped the leak. Should I worry about the leak? It is raining quite heavily today and there doesn't seem to be a leak. It has only happened due to the melting snow and ice. Can the snow and ice get under the tiles?

Sponsored Links
We had a couple of leaks into our house this weekend. The areas are directly below valleys were snow had accumulated on the valley and the first row of tiles each side.

I haven’t been able to brush the snow off (too high) so I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s a one off.

This problem hasn’t present itself in lighter snow and very heavy rain - so I’m hoping it just the volume of snow and subsequent defrost.

This very fine dusty snow has literally blown up the roof with loads of people seeing something of some sort. Hopefully next couple days everything back to normal.

This very fine dusty snow has literally blown up the roof with loads of people seeing something of some sort. Hopefully next couple days everything back to normal.

I take it from your username you are in the trade? If so that’s a reassuring comment!

Sponsored Links
I went up in the loft room on Friday, and found a 3" pile of snow that had blown in through the vent on the Velux window. I've never seen the likes of this snow before.

My soffits in my not yet finished extension are open at the minute. Had snow inside. Mad wind and super dust like snow. Really weird weather.

Thanks for all the replies - no more leaks now the snow has gone and have read a few US websites that talk about ice dams getting formed on the roof so the melting water backs up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back