Remove snow from roof or not?

D

DonSolaris

I have an extension with a fairly flat tiled roof that has been covered in snow for a couple of weeks now. It's become quite hard.

I'm wondering whether it's worth removing snow and ice from roofs during prolonged cold spells like this, or is it better left there as an insulator against the freezing air and wind outside, even if there's no more snow falling?

Does the snow on a roof suck out the heat from the room below or insulate like an igloo?

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to leave the snow where it is.

The roof construction will be (or should be unless it's a very very dodgy construction) strong enough to cope with the weight of snow and in all honesty snow and a sloping roof sounds like an accident waiting to happen if you are attempting to go up there to clear it. The only real thing you need to do is to check the gutters and eaves to check that there is no damming effect from the ice, i.e. ice builds up and then when a thaw starts water from the roof can't get away and can then seep under slates and tiles.

As to wheather the snow insulates or draws heat out there's probably very little in it. However, leaving the snow on will give you an indication of how good your insulation is. If yours is the first house in the street to have a roof free of snow then it's an indication that you need better insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back