Preventing snow damage to gutters?

Still nothing...one of my neighbours reckons as the year is up for snagging they won't entertain rectifying the problems. This isn't snagging it's crap workmanship and nothing else. He says it was a subbed out plumbers firm who fitted them so are they directly responsible or is it the other firm who gave them the work(main contractor?)
Who can I go to next to hassle them? My local Building Standards department? Or is there some kind of ombudsman to deal with things like this?
It's only £30 for the extra clips I need and I'll fit the gutters better than any of these ****s could, but it's the principal and I want to raise this with a higher authority and cause some embarassment to the shysters!!!

Sponsored Links
As far as I understand, it doesn't matter who is ultimately responsible as your contract is with whoever you paid for the house.

If there is a liability - which it seems to me extremely likely - it is up to them to take care of it. Do not try yourself - or allow them to lead you into - pursuing the "ultimate culprit".

Make them do it correctly. Just consider the risk you are taking repairing the gutters. Be a hell of a financial hit for you if you fell .

The architect tried to weasel out of it, spoke to some bloke at Lindab who said it was 800mm spacings so all was ok. I replied to him saying that maybe 800mm was an acceptable figure for most of the lowland and southern areas of the UK but in the assembly literature it states UNEQUIVOCALLY that it's 600mm so why did he need to get someone to contradict this? I then noticed that our neighbours at number 4 have the 22 clips I calculated they all needed on the southern elevation and guess what? It survived the winter in perfect condition. All the houses have different amounts of clips and I let them know this too. I emailed that I wanted a compromise that they supply what's missing and I'll fit it. 2 sundays ago the main contractor who did the work sneaked up and left the 11 clips by the porch!!!!
A small victory, but I bet they are not aware I've kept every neighbour in the loop with progress on this!!!:cool:

I plan to get the 3 short gutters on the north side done before we get any snow and this will be 600mm max- might get the figure closer to 500mm and see how it fares over the winter.

Sponsored Links
thanks for taking the time to update us we appreciate it
glad things are moving on even iff a bit slow :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back