Dry verge and dry ridge quotes: are they reasonable and equivalent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,

I am a new, first-time home owner (around 18 months) looking for some advice based on quotes I've received for a dry verge and dry ridge system.

During autumn/winter last year I started to notice pink pieces of mortar in the back garden but given the quantity disregarded it as a "fix it later". This year there's mortar also falling from the front, and the back is looking fairly bare with what's already crumbled/fallen out.

For context/size of property (small 4-bed detached), I've uploaded 3 images for each of front/back/side of house and tried to indicate the damage to the pointing:

For what it's worth/if it impacts expected pricing, I'm in the West Midlands.

I've so far gotten 2 quotes based on the 2 highest recommendations on Nextdoor, and cross-verified on Checkatrade where they're both 9.5+ ratings.

My questions:
1) would you consider these quotes to be reasonable
2) based on the work detailed in the quotes (copied verbose from the roofers), would you say they are equivalent/comparable?

Quote 1 - £4,794 including VAT:
1. Arrange for scaffolding to be erected by our regular supplier.
2. Strip existing verge tiles clearing mortar and fibre cement under cloak.
3. Supply and fix a treated roofing baton to verge details to allow for fixing point.
4. Supply and install a dry UPVC individual verge unit to each verge tile fixed with a ally nail (colour tbc).
5. Strip existing ridge tiles clearing mortar and stacking for re-use.
6. Supply and install a treated roofing baton to ridge line to allow for fixing point.
7. Supply and install roll out breathable ridge tape to ridge line.
8. Re-install ridge tiles using a dry ventilated mechanically fixed ridge system.
9. Clear all remaining materials and debris.
10. Arrange for scaffolding to be dismantled.

Quote 2 - £3,792 including VAT:
1. Supply and erect scaffold to gain access to roof
2. Remove tiles,mortar and under cloak from x6 verges
3. Fit treated and tanalised timbers to verges
4. Install a new maintenance free dry verge system to x6 verges
5. Remove all ridge tiles from roof and set aside for reuse
6. Install new maintenance free dry ridge system to main roof
7. Change any broken tiles
8. Clean out all gutters to property
9. All rubbish and site debris removed
10. All British standard materials and workmanship supplied
11. All work carries a 10 year guarantee

Many thanks in advance for helping this new home-owner navigate roofing quotes!

Sponsored Links
Hey @datarebal thanks for the response.

Apologies in advance for any silly questions...roofing terminology is definitely a new world to me having previously lived in many, many flats :)

1) Continuous (also called 'linear' I believe?) vs. individual - is this from a cost, or aesthetic perspective?

2) Rebed verges being wet verge/mortar? One of the roofers said they flat-out wouldn't do anything apart from a dry solution.

Do you have any thoughts on whether the quotes for individual dry verges is reasonable? I have no frame/point of reference so not sure one way or the other.

Cheers

I would check diynot site for previous posts on checkatrade, not heard of Nextdoor but others on here may have opinions on it. Be really careful finding someone to do the work. Also why not just have the ridge and verges rebedded with mortar.

Sponsored Links
One of the roofers said they flat-out wouldn't do anything apart from a dry solution.
Incompetent then.. move on
Continuous (also called 'linear' I believe?) vs. individual - is this from a cost, or aesthetic perspective
Here is one make https://klober.co.uk/dry-verge-and-valleys/dry-verges/p/continuous-dry-verge-t-strip There are others. I never promote on cost just quality. A much better job. Generally individuals end up poorly fitted and on the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back