Leak from copper hot water cylinder...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. so I was having a nosey today to see if I could shut off the water supply to a bathroom tap as it needs a washer. While having a look in around the water tank, I found a new problem. I noticed a dripping on the floor from the tank. On further inspection I noticed the floorboard had been a bit wet at a previous time. Now, however I could see a drip.

I got the phone out and took a few pictures. It was drpiing from a valve of some sort at the rear of the tank. I put a towel down and was able to turn the square looking nut to shut the water off. It really did take a good turn maybe half a turn or more to stop the drip.

While I'm happy the dripping stopped and I didn't flood the house, I'm a bit worried as I'm not sure what this leaky valve is or why it would just start leaking like a drip every 6 seconds. I'm in the house 10 years or more, so why would it start now And why was the square nut so loose...?

also... I have had a gurgling/bubbling sound from the hot water tank when the oil fired burner is heating the water.

sorry it's taken so long to explain and thanks for reading, any enlightenment appreciated.

IMG_4997.jpeg

IMG_4998.jpeg
IMG_4999.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That is the drain valve for the cylinder, if it's stopped now then you should be ok. Keep an eye on it in the short term, just in case. If it starts dripping again in may need the washer replaced but that's a full cylinder drain down

The bubbling may be the water heating in the cylinder, is the CH system water (rads) quite hot?

Thanks Madrab, I will keep an eye on it for the next few days. Right now, 6 or so hours after I tightened if, all is still dry, no drips.

ch system water is hot. Hw has it's own switch at the control unit, and 2 story house has zone valves, upstairs, down stairs and hot water (not sure of any of that info is relevan). thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back