Leak from Radiator Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Water is dripping from the area pointed to by the arrow in the photo.

I've looked around online and there is some advice to tighten the gland nut and pack the gap with PTFE tape.

I've packed the gap with PTFE tape and it stops it leaking but as soon as you turn the valve to a different position it starts leaking again.

I can't see any nut to tighten, the surfaces next to it are round and smooth?

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_211624584.jpg
    IMG_20151114_211624584.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 533
Sponsored Links
the hexagon nut unscrews from the body of the valve, then you can wrap the spindle in PTFE like a tight smooth bandage so it is a close fit in the hole. I can't see a gland nut on yours. There might possibly be a rubber "O" ring. It might be less trouble to buy a new valve. Take a photo of the entire valve, perhaps one of the others that does not have tape wrapped round it, and of the knobs or plastic caps which might help identify the brand. It is likely to be easier to fit a new one the same as the old, otherwise you may need to get the olive off the pipe.

If you wind the valve tight shut or tight open, it will stop dripping until you can fix it.

Perhaps my stalker will be along in a minute.

Hey,

I did wonder if there was meant to be some sort of O ring in that gap. The other valve has the same issue and has tape wrapped around it also.

This is the whole valve.

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_224956186.jpg
    IMG_20151114_224956186.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 352
tape on the outside is no good.

I guess your valves are worn out.

If they come out of a wooden floor and have a bit of play, fitting new ones will not be too hard. But it will be easier if you can get the same sort.

Sponsored Links
lol at that tape wrapped round the valve body:ROFLMAO:

There will be an oring on the spindle but you need to remove the entire valve guts and strip it down to do it. The orings are a weird size too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back