LEAK FROM RADIATOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Switched off a bedroom radiator last night to reduce temperature in room as PC was overheating (even though temperature in single figures!)

Woke up this morning and found a big damp patch on the carpet and it is evident there was a drip drip at the valve (this is the hot and cold temperature control-not the one at the other end).

I guess by turning the valve off last night I must have somehow damaged it or an adjacent nut. What was strange this morning was that when I switched the radiator back on the leak stopped and when I switched it off the radiator stayed hot.

Fortunately we have plumbing cover with British Gas but I would dearly love to know wot I did wrong. The valve was a bit tight but I cant see how switching the radiator off caused the leak.

Thanks cedrich

Sponsored Links
You may have loosened the nut at the valve stem.

Check it when the system is cold and tighten gently if needed. :D

Is the nut at the valve stem the big one at the side or the smaller one underneath?

if you can get someone out for free, i would do nothing myself otherwise they may charge you because you made it worse in their opinion

Sponsored Links
if you do get them out leave the rad off if you can as it makes it easier to repair if the leak is actually there when he arrives.

he shouldnt charge you for a fault like that.

probably just the internal seal/gland leaking once you turned it off, especially if it hasn't been touched for years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back