leak in grp roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4x8 + single garage built 10 years ago and was persuaded to the GRP route for the roofing based on a 25 year guarantee. Unfortunately, when I had a new stove burner installed last Thursday, when the installer cut a hole in the roof to fit the flue he showed me the OSB offcut which turned out to be saturated. Fortunately, the insulation blocks were preventing water ingress inside but I have no way of knowing the full extent of the leak except the underside of the adjoining garage appears to be dry whilst the whole area around the hole is kind of soft suggesting it is equally wet. The joists may be wet as well but again I don't know how badly. I have no idea where the water could have come from except maybe the lead flashing around an existing 6x2.5 ft (approx) roof light.

Naturally enough I panicked, called a roofer and he suggested replacing the whole lot with felt which carries 18 warranty. He told me GRP present no end of problems with leaks if it has not been done properly which is obviously the case here. Anyway, the quote comes to £4.800 including replacing all the OSB. It didn't strike me as horrendous although I have not signed any agreement yet. I contacted the original GRP roofer and he is coming round tomorrow to have a look . He may well try to fob me off or suggest a cheap patch up job but my instincts tell me the whole lot needs to go.

The felt roofer said the water tends to seep sideways and even though the OSB may look dry from underneath there is no way of knowing how far the water has gone above Anyway I told him I'd let him know Monday whether I wish to go ahead with him but I suspect that is what I'll do. I don't want to mess him around as hee seemed very helpful and came at a moments notice
The supplier of the GDP was Topseal and apparently, some roofers won't touch it with a barge pole whilst others think it is repairable

If I could get some kind of compensation from the GRP roofer assuming he has liability insurance that would be ideal
Anyway, I welcome whatever advice you could give me .Thanks

I just done some research and it appears there are severalon reasons why the roof leaked and all of them point to poor installation. What i have noticed particularly during the early years was loud cracking during the morning and evenings spring and autumn mainly. I put it down to teething problems but it may well have been caused by incorrect OSB being used. It should be T&G OSB to allow for expansion.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Several tins of acropol or something similar will make you water tight again.

Which side of the OSB is wet ?
Btw you have cut into the original guys roof.. he may not be generous ..
Grp is for boats

Which side of the OSB is wet ?
Btw you have cut into the original guys roof.. he may not be generous ..
Grp is for boats
the section that was cut was saturated on both sides.The roof does not belong to the original guy, its mine and it hadn't been cut when it was the situation would have got worse because i had no idea what was going on

Sponsored Links
Regardless , you are looking for him to pay up. But it's been interfered with by others . It's his way out. Can you prove it was leaking before the flue was fitted... Sounds not

Regardless , you are looking for him to pay up. But it's been interfered with by others . It's his way out. Can you prove it was leaking before the flue was fitted... Sounds not
if the boards were saturated at the time of the cut that's all the proof I need

Original roofer called round this morning. it's not condensation rather water got through dislodged tiles on the adjoining roof of the main building and seeped under the felt. As the grp was laid over it by up to about a couple of feet up the roof , the water would have seeped under it all way along the flat roof to the edge .There is no way the whole flat roof needs replacing,just a small area,maybe 8 sq mtrs

Last edited:
So he is admitting his error and going to rectify it?
he was completely puzzled at first but will try and convince Topseal that some of the batch they supplied him with failed. He is going to refelt some of the adjoining felt from a pitch roof where he thinks the problem originated but as a separate job and we will try and claim that off our insurance. Either way I shall have the job done even if I end up paying for it all,
It's now obvious to me that roofer 2 just wanted the job and at quite a hefty price (4.8k for about 40sq mtrs) as he insisted the whole roof needed replacing and being in a bit of a panic, I gave him the job. Fortunately, my wife and I reflected on it and decided we should get roofer I back and see what he could suggest .He seemed to make far more sense so we asked him to go ahead and then contacted roofer 2 to explain the situation but he then claimed he had already ordered the materials. Sorry but orders can be cancelled especially at such short notice

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back