Leak in join of extension roof and house

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a single story pitched rood extension built last summer. After heavy rain just not discovered a leak.

Water coming down the side of the old French door (now doorway to house/extension) and trickling to the floor. Looks slightly damp above the door to one side, so I guess water is coming down the outside wall, past the flashing, behind the dot and dab plasterboard and landing on top of the French door frame before working its way around.

The whole roof is flushed badly I think.

Tried calling my builder, no joy. Work was completed and signed off by building control (but they did not actually look at the roof!).

I know nothing about building, but did just read online that the flashing should be chased into the brickwork all the way along, and not just rest against it.

Some photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/112594...&authkey=Gv1sRgCKjuzq6MyNeKQQ&feat=directlink

Will take some of the flashing now and add to Picasaweb.

So, my questions are:

1. If I cannot get hold of the builder, approx how much would a job like this cost to fix?

2. I assume that a builder should come back and fix it, but they did not exactly give me a guarantee. Was a friendly chap and said call if problems, but no joy with answering the phone at the moment.

Sponsored Links
The only place that looks suspicious is beneath the cill!

Its a roofer you need not a builder.

Thanks. I put my finger under the cill and it was a bit wet. Had a lot of rain over the last month and this is the first time any water appeared, but it was during a storm with rain driving toward the house.

Will try my builder and failing that, get a roofer. But the builder should really finish the job properly shouldn't they? Even though it was finished on 5th Sept 2013?

It looks as though the lead under the cill is the problem. There is a good chance your builder will come and sort the problem.

Sponsored Links
Its an easy enough fix if he grinds a channel beneath the cill and inserts a 100mm counter flashing.

Hmmmm. I am tempted to just get a roofer in. Found a local firm (rooftiler.co.uk) who seem to have reasonable prices on the website. Hopefully my builder will fix, but if it don't look right I will get a roofer in.

[/url]

Apart from the lead under the cill it looks like a tidy job...i'm quite sure your builder will rectify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back