Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I came back from work yesterday to find out that I got a huge leak coming from one of the radiator valves. A few weeks ago I removed a couple of radiators upstairs in the first floor and I left the valves closed. Probably the baby opened up the valve before we left for work and it has been leaking the whole day. The result is that as we have exposed wooden floor upstairs all the water has come trough soaking the plaster down the first floor where we have carpet. The ceiling has been recently plastered and it was not painted, however it is all soaked in an area about 15 square meter. I have rippen off the soaked carpet underneath as it was quite old and we wanted to remove it sooner or later. I am now a bit worry about the effects on the exposed wooden floor upstairs and the wooden floor downstairs and whatever is underneath. What is the fastest way do dry everything out?Would it be good to lift some of the timber in order to ventilate faster? In cases like this would it be normal for the insurance company to sort me out with a new carpet?Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Not really a plumbing problem :confused:
However, it is normally wisest not to speed up any drying out process by applying too much heat. By all means lift a board or two to help air flow and prevent any fungal growth through trapped moistness..

As for insurance, you need to read the fine print of the policy or contact them direct to ascertain what they have agreed to cover.

Did the rad/s have TRVs? if so did you remove them and fit a decorators cap?

No it is not a plumbing problem is just about getting the floors dry out as fast as possible. The floor boards have got a 1 or 2 mm separation between them so the air and humidity can escape. I also noticed that the floor boards are nailed down with big nails so I would prefer not to take any off as it can be tricky.
About the valve it was a TRV and I suspect that it may have opened up because of the cold so I have put a cup from B&Q although I have also dried out the whole system. I am planning now to refill it again probably tomorow and see how it goes.

Sponsored Links
The cause is a plumbing problem. I think you now owe the baby an apology. :LOL:

It's a not untypical situation - people remove the radiator and assume that the TRV will keep the valve closed. As John suggests, you should get a decorator's cap for the valve or, if this is not available use a blanking cap on the TRV outlet.

If a TRV has settings something like 5,4,3,2,1,"frost",0 then doesn't 0 mean zero? (so no dec cap required?)

If a TRV has settings something like 5,4,3,2,1,"frost",0 then doesn't 0 mean zero? (so no dec cap required?)
Yes, but it may still allow water to pass. Always worth a dec cap, for peace of mind.

As Loupy says do NOT try to dry it out too quickly.

Do not apply heat but DO apply ventilation such as in open windows and even a fan to assist.

If security allows open all windows and doors to create the maximum draught.

Lift a few floorboards if you want to but all it really needs is time and ventilation.

Expect weeks, not days!

Tony

Thanks all for your advice. With the current icy conditions the water may freeze rather than dry but I will do my best.
Cheers,
North

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back