Leaking boiler after pressuring what have I done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tried to bleed the rad in one of the bedrooms because it's not working and tried to put a bit more pressure in the system now water leaking from the boiler. Pressure is now dropping quickly. Need to bath kids is it ok to switch on?

Sponsored Links
hi weres it leaking from and how much pressure did you put in if its a combi boiler 1.5 bar is the max anymore and it will throw it out its a safety device to protect the boiler

hi weres it leaking from and how much pressure did you put in if its a combi boiler 1.5 bar is the max anymore and it will throw it out its a safety device to protect the boiler

Most pressure relief valves tend to let go at around 3bar not 1.5.

How much pressure did you whack in?

If the relief valve has lifted there a good chance it wont reseat properly and will need to be cleaned or replaced.

As long as the pressure gauge reads between 0.5 and 2.5, you can run the boiler. The safety engages around 3 bar, like PP said, but it's best to stay on the safe side and not go above 2.5.
Which boiler do you have?

Sponsored Links
ok perhaps i should have wrote 1.5 bar cold, if my boiler goes below 1.0bar it shuts down and the service light comes on, when its running and pressurised it goes up to 2.5 sometimes 2.7 the bg engineer who serviced it last month said no more than 1.5 bar cold otherwise the pressure release would operate as said in the post above

He should have increased the precharge on your ev; either that is (too) low, or you have a very small ev compared to your system

ok perhaps i should have wrote 1.5 bar cold, if my boiler goes below 1.0bar it shuts down and the service light comes on, when its running and pressurised it goes up to 2.5 sometimes 2.7 the bg engineer who serviced it last month said no more than 1.5 bar cold otherwise the pressure release would operate as said in the post above

The BG engneer should have recharged you expansion vessel then. You shouldnt get that much pressure fluctuation. Get them back to recharge it.

What boiler is it?

daft question whats an ev, when the plumber fitted it he told me no more than 1.5 bar cold the book says it as well its a heatline solaris 30pc, my daughters worcester bosch is the same im not a plumber thats y iv`e got it on a bg service plan ooops just seen it ev expansion vessel

so how much should the pressure go up when its hot then mines all ways gone up by about 1.0 to 1.2 bar when its hot is that too much

Cold between 1 and 1.5 is fine. It just shouldn't increase that much; about half a bar from stone cold to fully hot if all is done right.

0.5 bar its never done that i know heatline arnt the best in the first year it broke down 3 times, if the ev needs repressurising would that cause it to shut down on its own for no reason, the reason i ask is because its done this for a couple of years now comes straight back on tho, the chief engineer from heatline couldnt cure it he changed the pcbs, sensors and more or less everything he could would have been easier to put a new boiler in

Unlikely that the ev lacking pressure will do that. I reckon the chap that changed the pcb was telling you porkies when claiming to be the chief engineer; few experienced engineers will start changing parts at random to see what cures the problem.

the trouble is when you dont know anything about boilers etc your in the lap of the gods the thing was it was only 8months old so they had to do something once when i rang up heatline i said to the woman y do you make such crap boilers, we dont she said, i replied you do i`ve got one dont think she was very happy lol what does the ev do then

Expansion vessel stops the system from over pressurising. As water gets heated it expands. In a conventional system with header tank the tank allows for this expansion of water. With a sealed system there are no header tanks so an EV is required to take up the expansion.

ok thanks i understand now should the engineer have checked this when he serviced it, i was surprised because he did`nt do alot to the boiler he ran the hot water went outside to the gas meter then went outside to the flue and that was it he did`nt even take the front off the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back