Leaking Cistern Fitting advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DB2058A4-B95C-4D55-B7E1-5518EBB75748-707-000000841CCC344C.jpg

0F2F1E32-7241-49D8-AFAA-7242EA19039A-707-00000083EB7F309C.jpg

1BF7FAE9-F6B2-49B4-A47D-87666EB9588B-707-000000842E7E722C.jpg

Had to change cistern fill valve which i thought would have been like for like replacement (easy) haha.

bought a fluidmaster and realised when went to fit, that new ones threaded shank is 10mm shorter than old one, this poses a problem because of the fittings i am connecting to. (see picture).

I have used couple of washers to prop up fitting, also used 1mm thick polythene washer in the cistern side to get the shank at correct height to connect to fitting.
But the problem is once tryed it, had a leak at the polythene washer inside the cistern.
has any one any advice on a fix for this (e.g better way of sealing using thin washer like polythene one) or a completely different suggestion or advice ???

hope above makes sense cheers

Sponsored Links
DB2058A4-B95C-4D55-B7E1-5518EBB75748-707-000000841CCC344C.jpg

0F2F1E32-7241-49D8-AFAA-7242EA19039A-707-00000083EB7F309C.jpg

1BF7FAE9-F6B2-49B4-A47D-87666EB9588B-707-000000842E7E722C.jpg

Had to change cistern fill valve which i thought would have been like for like replacement (easy) haha.

bought a fluidmaster and realised when went to fit, that new ones threaded shank is 10mm shorter than old one, this poses a problem because of the fittings i am connecting to. (see picture).

I have used couple of washers to prop up fitting, also used 1mm thick polythene washer in the cistern side to get the shank at correct height to connect to fitting.
But the problem is once tryed it, had a leak at the polythene washer inside the cistern.
has any one any advice on a fix for this (e.g better way of sealing using thin washer like polythene one) or a completely different suggestion or advice ???

hope above makes sense cheers
I would go down to a plumbers merchant/ DIY store and find one with the correct inlet size your after. I have had to cut these inlet down on a few job to make fit, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one to fit.

Believe it or not went to the plumb centre today and low and behold was shut, so from what you say you get various valves with different lengths of the threaded shank.
cheers

also what about the polythene washer ?
is their a thinner sealing washer i could use instead of the provided doughnut washer incase i dont get correct fill valve

thanks for reply

You may be able to fit a flexi hose with a isolation valve to replace the nice plastic one. Just remember to turn the main water supply off. You should be able to use the nut and olive from the compression fitting. ;)

Sponsored Links
cheers look into it maybe,
when my mate (who i dont speak to anymore lol) fitted bathroom i am pretty sure he had trouble getting a flexi hose that size !

Would really like an isolation valve their, because in hindsight that has caused a lot of hassle not having one !

Believe it or not went to the plumb centre today and low and behold was shut, so from what you say you get various valves with different lengths of the threaded shank.
cheers

is their a thinner sealing washer i could use instead of the provided doughnut washer incase i dont get correct fill valve

thanks for reply
Just follow the fitting assembly guide and you shouldn't have a problem.

cheers

thanks for reply
Just follow the fitting assembly guide and you shouldn't have a problem.

I will do providing i get correct fill valve or flexi hose !!! thanks again
was just wandering if i could use a eg 1mm thick rubber seal instead

when my mate (who i dont speak to anymore lol) fitted bathroom i am pretty sure he had trouble getting a flexi hose that size !

Would really like an isolation valve their, because in hindsight that has caused a lot of hassle not having one !
It may be a bit of a squeeze but don't know the measurements. Is that not an isolation valve on there at the moment?.

It may be a bit of a squeeze but don't know the measurements. Is that not an isolation valve on there at the moment?.
Just follow the fitting instructions and you shouldn't have a problem.

Its a filter on it at moment, and the gap i have between bottom compression fitting and valve is 100mm.

shortest flexible tap connector i can see with a quick search is 300mm

Its a filter on it at moment, and the gap i have between bottom compression fitting and valve is 100mm.

shortest flexible tap connector i can see with a quick search is 300mm
I can see why he didn't connect a flexi. You could get a plumber to fit an isolation valve to the existing nut and olive, and run a bit of pipe upto the inlet. Happy days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back