Leaking cistern flush valve - new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have got myself into a bit of a mess with a replacement flush valve. Background: The flush handle was broken on my very old concealed low level wc. So feeling adventurous, I decided to replace it with a push button version, so I bought a Fluidmaster Pro550UK cable dual flush valve. I emptied the old tank and installed the new flush valve and button on the front panel where the old handle was etc. It looked good except that I could not get it to flush without leaking. I have a feeling that this valve is not compatible with my 1.5 inch flush pipe. So I am possibly back to square one. Can anyone recommend a suitable flush valve if this is the case?

Sponsored Links
where exactly is leak ?
1. valve to cistern
2. flush pipe to valve.
3. flush pipe to pan seal
4.pan seal to pan
????

Sponsored Links
Yep its No. 2 - Valve to flush pipe...the flush pipe is presently going up inside the valve threaded 'pipe' (but obviously not so far as to interfere with the valve seat). I am reusing the existing locking nut and washer to make the connection onto the valve threaded 'pipe' . I just don't think the flush valve I am using is compatible with a straight connection onto the flush pipe. Any thoughts?
Thanks Mike

the rubber seal is usually a tapered edge ,ensure the "thinner " edge goes to the valve . also ensure you are not " cross threading" the plastic nut. some have a thin plastic slip ring that goes between the rubber seal and the nut to stop the rubber seal from twisting when tightening up, but not all have this. you should use the nut that came with the valve ,not the old one to ensure thread compatability.

Thanks Terryplumb,
This morning I took the whole assembly down the local plumbers shop. And with a new tapered rubber washer this time facing the right way, plus the addition of a thin plastic slip ring, it did the trick. Everything you said made sense and is exactly what I did in the end. Now the flush pipe is as dry as a bone in a desert. The valve mysteriously didn't come with a new nut so I used the old one but got away with it.
Thanks again, a satisfying conclusion!
Mike
ps - With the amount of times I attempted to do this properly, I am now quite good at emptying/filling a cistern and removing / installing a flush valve. Cost of job - Materials about £22, Travel - 36 miles with various trips to plumber merchants, Labour about 1.5 days!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back