Leaking Elson Coral E Storage Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
I moved into a new build flat with a Elson water storage heater about 6 years ago and noticed yesterday that having been on overnight it was surrounded by water on the floor. This happened a bit a couple of weeks ago - but then did not happen again until last night. The water is leaking from the top immersion heater - though the bottom one was on overnight.

Reading around there seem to be a number of possibilities:
a) The thermostat is faulty (the hot water coming out is certainly very hot)
b) The immersion heaters are leaking because the installer forgot to put in inhibitor (Ferrox)
c) The seals have just gone with age

I have never been entirely happy with the unit as it seems too large for the flat (It is 210 l) and has been installed in the front of a cupboard with a big wasted space behind (as the main water suppy comes up behind it). So I am now unsure what to do for the best - I could probably replace the immersion heaters myself - but a complete replacement ideally would involve some re-plumbing including raising the unit, putting pipes into the walls etc... no doubt costing over £1K

Also what are the pros-and cons of a pumped heat exchanger unit if I do decide to replace? The flat is ground floor and all electric.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I do a lot of Corral Es, And the elements do tend to corrode and leak at about six years old especially if its a hard water area. I find its normally from the stat pocket, The other thing it could be is that a failed stat will cause boil over into the small F & E and leak down past the insulation.

Longshot

Thanks for that Longshot.

I have had a look at the F & E tank - it seems that the water is nowhere near the overflow - so I am guessing that it is unlikely to be overflowing from there (wouldn't the water just go down the overflow pipe anyway?)

I am in a hard water area - and now wishing that I had put Ferrox in when we moved in.

My current plan is to nip out and get a suitable tool to remove the immersion heater(s) - but waiting till the hot water has been used up.

Are they special order item? And is it worth replacing thermostat at the same time?

Also is the Elson the most efficient space/heat capacity unit - or are there more efficient units now available (technology has surely moved forward in the last 6 years).

Thanks again for any advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back