leaking flat roofs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen and garage flat roofs are attached to each other. the garage roof is a step lower than the kitchen one. The garage roof is leaking and I've been told they need to be replaced. As far as I know they are in felt and at least 11 years old. I have been reading about different materials but I still do not understand which is the best and what the cost will be. the roofs are about 4.5m x 5.5m and 4.5m x 3.40m. Can anyone give me an idea?

Sponsored Links
EPDM is by far the superior product at the moment. Although I will admit zinc will last forever if done properly. But if you want to compare the more reasonably priced options of felt, GRP (fibreglass) or EPDM I would go for the EPDM purely for the benefits & superiority over the others. Rubber seal are probably the best place for advice if you google them.

Sponsored Links
My kitchen and garage flat roofs are attached to each other. the garage roof is a step lower than the kitchen one. The garage roof is leaking and I've been told they need to be replaced. As far as I know they are in felt and at least 11 years old. I have been reading about different materials but I still do not understand which is the best and what the cost will be. the roofs are about 4.5m x 5.5m and 4.5m x 3.40m. Can anyone give me an idea?

Thank you for your suggestions. I looked into the zinc option and it is an attactive idea but expensive. Am I right to suppose that 4500 plus VAT would only be for covering the area? But the decking might need changing and of course there is the insulation to consider.

Yes the estimate was just for the zinc covering. It's more than likely the decking needs replacing and if you're going to all that trouble it would make sense to increase the amount of insulation while you have the chance.
If you're still interested and you're considering zinc I could look at a lump sum deal for new decking, insulation and zinc?

Xenon...What a douche! noticed he had a little pop in the other post. Far more people are calling for EPDM, I wonder why. Felt still has it's purposes but EPDM is a much more robust product. If it fails or looks **** it's down to installer error not the product.

p.s. The posts are to help people not have slimey little digs because you can't move forward with technology.

I think all roofing products are only as good as the installation. I've seen zinc roofs that wouldn't last a week........
Every product has it's pros and cons, all the roofers on here are desperate to defend their products.

On a job today they're replacing a slate roof which is 16 degrees....... Because conservation say so...... :eek:

Xenon...What a douche! noticed he had a little pop in the other post. Far more people are calling for EPDM, I wonder why. Felt still has it's purposes but EPDM is a much more robust product. If it fails or looks s**t it's down to installer error not the product.

p.s. The posts are to help people not have slimey little digs because you can't move forward with technology.

Lol I'm not taking sides here but the company Xenon works for carries out huge roofing projects like the recent £1.2m Canary Wharf project. He's an RICS Qualified quantity roofing surveyor.(Well I think that's what he's called)

Even I wouldn't put a single sheet of 1.14mm tyre on a posh building! Mr and Mrs Smith's bay window roof maybe! :cool:

Xenon...What a douche! noticed he had a little pop in the other post. Far more people are calling for EPDM, I wonder why. Felt still has it's purposes but EPDM is a much more robust product. If it fails or looks s**t it's down to installer error not the product.

Lol I'm not taking sides here but the company Xenon works for carries out huge roofing projects like the recent £1.2m Canary Wharf project. He's an RICS Qualified quantity roofing surveyor.(Well I think that's what he's called)

Even I wouldn't put a single sheet of 1.14mm tyre on a posh building! Mr and Mrs Smith's bay window roof maybe! :cool:

This isn't a "who's dick's bigger than who's" post lol Each to there own I suppose just thought the BS meter was a bit OTT, where I'm just giving advice from what I feel is right & I've installed countless (not a dick comparison contest I know) EPDM roofs with not a single problem over years of installing them. Yet I replace newer & newer felt roofs. Good on Xenon for the contract, but I don't know the ins & outs to comment on that. You never know I may have had a dabble in the larger contracts myself ;)

What are the prices like in Devon?

Here in Brum we're paying about 6.50psm on epdm, 50 quid on a 10ltr glue and 11 quid a metre on the 9inch flashing :)

Well, i shall keep this brief, i come from an installation background (near 30 years).
We as a company install pretty much every type of roof you can think of. except EPDM. Why? Because we've seen it fail prematurely, 16000m2 on Brent Cross shopping centre being the biggest failure. Its failings are well known in the professional roofing industry, by specifiers, architects, everyone. Along comes you, Mr sling an innertube on a back extension, and proclaim its the future, when you do not know the first thing about membranes or their ability or capacity. Small builders love it because after a half day course, they can fit it. I spent 4 years as an improver before i was even allowed to lay cap sheet on my own. So don't tell me about the 'future' of roofing, we install roofing you couldn't even begin to understand, because you're a one trick know nothing, you can fool the general public, but you can't fool a real roofer. So, my advice would be to use your rectum for crapping out of, instead of talking. Now run along and read a book, educate yourself a bit.

Well, i shall keep this brief, i come from an installation background (near 30 years).
We as a company install pretty much every type of roof you can think of. except EPDM. Why? Because we've seen it fail prematurely, 16000m2 on Brent Cross shopping centre being the biggest failure. Its failings are well known in the professional roofing industry, by specifiers, architects, everyone. Along comes you, Mr sling an innertube on a back extension, and proclaim its the future, when you do not know the first thing about membranes or their ability or capacity. Small builders love it because after a half day course, they can fit it. I spent 4 years as an improver before i was even allowed to lay cap sheet on my own. So don't tell me about the 'future' of roofing, we install roofing you couldn't even begin to understand, because you're a one trick know nothing, you can fool the general public, but you can't fool a real roofer. So, my advice would be to use your rectum for crapping out of, instead of talking. Now run along and read a book, educate yourself a bit.

Idiot, stick to subject instead of being the big man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back