Leaking Ground Floor Bay Window Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been cleaning the inside of my downstairs bay window yesterday and found that rain water has managed to come through the bay ceiling and onto the window sill during the recent heavy rains. This has never happened before. Not a lot of water has come through. I've been up on the ladder checking out the plastic bay roof and the lead flashing looking for signs of holes or flashing creases but nothing has jumped out. I cant work out where the water has come through.

I've never had to do any roof work before, so this is all new to me and so I've no idea what I'm looking for. I've attached some photos of the roof, lead flashing and 1 photo of what appears to be hairline cracks of the plastic roof (although not sure if the cracks are all the way through).

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5293.jpg
    IMG_5293.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_5294.jpg
    IMG_5294.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_5297.jpg
    IMG_5297.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_5301.jpg
    IMG_5301.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_5305.jpg
    IMG_5305.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_5307.jpg
    IMG_5307.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_5308.jpg
    IMG_5308.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_5309.jpg
    IMG_5309.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5310.jpg
    IMG_5310.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 291
Sponsored Links
Is there any guttering? Is there a proper drip edge on the flat face of the roof (where the gutter ought to be). Is the water definitely coming through the ceiling? (Not just condensation or silicon fail on the presumed uPVC windows)?

Guttering works all fine and there is a proper drip edge. I've checked the windows and they are all ok. I don't think we have condensation problems. I'm a bit stumped.

Aah, just had a better look at your hairline cracks. That is a GRP roof isn't it?
If it is GRP then its possible the topcoat was on a bit thick, either that or the deck has moved slightly- whichever, that will eventually cause damage.
Assuming it is GRP repair is to grind the topcoat off til you can see the fibreglass mat. If the cracks go through the mat as well then grind enough topcoat off so you can relaminate with a good 50mm clearance to the cracks. There are plenty of Youtube videos, problem is its a small area & it'll be tricky colour-matching the topcoat

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back