Leaking into wall cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the gable end of my house I am having trouble with water leaking through the top of the upstairs windows (i.e. behind the frame). It seems to happen especially during high wind + rain.

I have inspected the window frames and can't see anywhere that water could be getting in.

Could the wind be driving water up under the roof-tiles, into the wall cavity so that it drops onto the windows underneath ?

I had noticed that the cement under the last row of roof-tiles was cracked in several places. I have had this renewed but still had water pouring through last night.

Sponsored Links
Is there any missing sealant all round the window?

A photo will tell us more

No cavity-tray or one been drilled thru by window fitters :rolleyes: :oops:

How standard are cavity trays ? i have heard of them being fitted above conservatories in some cases, but i though windows just had a lintel ?

Sponsored Links
Depends how old your house is. Some older properties have lead or even copper sheet set between the window frame and the lintel. This is then shapped upwards to lay against the inner skin.

Modern lintels (catnics and the like) act as a tray. You simply lay a piece of dpc on the lintel before you lay the first course of bricks. and again secure to the inner skin.

Dont forget the weep hole though

No cavity-tray or one been drilled thru by window fitters :rolleyes: :oops:

sorry to butt in. i need to pick your brains Nige if you dont mind. here goes......

i have a similar problem. ive had new windows installed in the summer and over the past few months ive had water leaching into the plaster in the corner of the sills on the downstairs window and when the wind get right up i get it in the upstairs window directly above, also leaching at the top of the window where the fixing screw goes into the poured concrete.

i do have cavity trays, but only in 2 thirds of the windows which i find bizzare. there is a cavity tray on the downstairs window but not upstairs. they have drilled through the cavity tray twice downstairs (doubt if the siliconed the old holes up) but the fixing screws going through the cavity tray are not rusted. they seem to think its going through the bottom fixing screws when the rain drives past the window seal so siliconed them up.

ive spoke to others in the street with the same houses and they have blocked these up and they have had no problems. is this the right thing to do. even a well knows installer blocked theirs up for them. i got the window installers to block up the downstairs cavity tray a month ago, it worked and stopped the leaching. yesterday with the really bad weather the upstairs one started leaching and the problem came back with the window downstairs, did it come from upstairs window? today they unsealed it as they think its the wrong thing to do.

also when taking the fixing bolt out of the upstairs window the rust on the screw is on the tip where it goes into the concrete, does this mean the concrete is damp and the water is passing through the render and concrete.

the window fitters seem to think the two windows have two different problems. they are steering towards the upstairs leaching through the concrete and want to spray water proofing on the walls above both windows.

sorry for the long winded question

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

james

That was 5 years ago I think he has been captured by Aliens since then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back