Leaking metal shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. I have a metal yard master type shed sat on a osb wooden base. I covered the whole wooden floor with a visqueen sheet before placing the shed on top. I silicone sealed around the outside and inside of the shed base to prevent water coming in and finished it off laying a rubber mat like they have in gyms/garages. Over the past few months after rainfall I have noticed water on the floor inside the shed and on peeling back the rubber matting, water is sat on top of the visqueen to the point the osb has began to rott and break away. I'm going to have to replace the floor but how can I stop water coming in at base level? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Some pictures would help. Is that the recommended base for you shed advised by manufacturer.

Metal and wood is a happy combination for condensation to run riot.
Got any ventilation?

Sponsored Links
Metal and wood is a happy combination for condensation to run riot.
Got any ventilation?
Yeah it has 2 x air vents in the rear panel. It doesn't seem to be condensation as it only really occurs when there's been a down pour. Its as if its leaking in under the shed frame but I'm unsure how as I've silicone sealed inside and outside the base.

Evening all. I have a metal yard master type shed sat on a osb wooden base. I covered the whole wooden floor with a visqueen sheet before placing the shed on top. I silicone sealed around the outside and inside of the shed base to prevent water coming in and finished it off laying a rubber mat like they have in gyms/garages. Over the past few months after rainfall I have noticed water on the floor inside the shed and on peeling back the rubber matting, water is sat on top of the visqueen to the point the osb has began to rott and break away. I'm going to have to replace the floor but how can I stop water coming in at base level? Thanks in advance

If it stands on damp ground or concrete, moisture will constantly permeate up from below.

If you can space it off the ground, with air circulating under the floor, it will have a chance to dry.

Does it have gutters and a downpipe leading rainwater away, or is it all delivered to the ground next to the shed?

I used to have a metal shed on my allotment plot. Everything inside it was permanently damp, I even had to keep my emergency bog roll in a sealed plastic bag!

I think we need photos.

You say the water barrier sheet is on top of the wood, but then you say "water is sat on top of the visqueen to the point the osb has began to rott and break away"... water sat on the plastic won't cause the OSB to rot, that's the whole point as it keeps the water off the OSB. It sounds like you may have water inside the shed AND water getting into the base from outside.
If the thing is simply on the ground then a silicon seal may not be working well enough, but I am assuming your OSB floor is on some sort of raised raft not just lying on the ground...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back