Leaking Overflow - faulty ball valve or HW cylinder coil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just trying to diagnosis a leaking overflow (from the loft to outside) that I noticed today when I got back from work. The plumber is coming on Monday but just want to try and diagnosis so I make sure the correct repair is undertaken.
The overflow was dripping (one drip per second or so) and I turned the cold tap in in the bath. This seemed to remedy the dripping (it hasn't dripped in two hours at least) and I went to investigate in the loft.
There is the large water tank (which is resting on a ledge so I can't access this easily). After an hour of running the cold water this seemed to be quiet and no sound of it continually refilling.
This tank has an overflow pipe running into a smaller one below it which them seems to connect to the overflow pipe thay extends outside. This small tank was certainly responsible for the overflow as the water was near the overflow part. There also seems to be other pipes leading into this small tank - possibly the hot water tank which is in the room below? This tank wasn't refilling either at the time I looked but then the HW and GCH is off.
So I was wondering is it:
A faulty ball valve in the large CW storage tank as the overflow stopped dripping when running the cold water tap in the bath?
Something to do with the HW cylinder which possibly vents into this smaller tank too?
I emptied some water from the small tank and this water seemed murky with particles in it when disturbed (although it has no lid in it so it could be dust from the roof!) I should mention that for the last six months the HW has seemed to be hotter than normal so maybe the HW is needing to vent into the smaller tank thus causing the overflow and explaining the particles??
I am very much an amateur so I hope this makes sense? Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back