Leaking Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Please would someone be able to advise me on an issue I’m having with the pipework seen in the picture

I took my radiator off the wall a week ago ready to be re plastered, which I have had done the last couple of days

I woke up this morning and saw the floor wet around the pipework, and saw abit of water leaking out under a small amount of pressure. I had to tighten this valve on the right very tight to stop the water.

I’ve had the central heating on all afternoon and have had no issue during this time, it just seems to be once the central heating turns off this has started happening. This was the case this morning also.

Could this be due to the cold weather we are having at the moment? If not, would anyone be able to offer any knowledge please?

Many thanks, Paul

IMG_0352.jpegIMG_0351.jpegIMG_0350.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If it’s leaking from the nut and olive, it may just want tightening up. I’d it’s leaking from the connection to the radiator, then should have a 1 piece blank cap fitted

Ah great, it’s coming out from the connection to the radiator. Will this just fit inside the pipe or will I have to cut the copper pipe back before I fit a cap?

Attachments

• IMG_0353.png
    IMG_0353.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 13
Temperature drop, valve has opened. Use the shut down cap supplied with the thermostatic valve or a 15mm blanking end

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much. Will the blanking cap just screw on to this?

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 21
Yes ,you need a half inch BSP blanking cap and rubber seal ,not 15mm ,for that thermostatic radiator valve.

Reactions: CBW
Your link to the macalpine fitting is completely wrong by the way.
Probably worth removing that ball O fix isolation valve ,it's pointless and will at some point leak from the spindle.

Yes, that's what you need. I prefer a full rubber seal ,no hole in the middle,but they should do the job. Buy a roll of PTFE tape to wrap a few turns around the thread of the valve...belt and braces !!
You can cap the other valve too ,although they are not prone to opening as TRV's do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back