Leaking " pressure releif valve " ?? ** sorted *

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very old gravity fed heating system. Its a Trianco boiler but in pretty good condition for its age.
I have just changed the 2 port valve on the HW return as the old one packed up after I drained the system down to fit TRV s .

On the other hot water pipe coming from the boiler near the top is a valve with a cap on the end and if I undo the cap slightly I can hear like a pinging noise as if its a spring or under pressure.

This valve was removed when I changed the motor valve and the system re filled. It is now leaking about 3 or 4 drops a minute .

Can I remove the cap without water coming out so I can attempt to re seal it or should I drain the system down again to replace.

Would the leak come from the cap or the end where it joins the pipe as I can't locate where its coming from.

This leaking valve dripped water onto the new 2 way motorized valve today and it caught fire.

Thanks for reading .I look forward to your replies .
Matt .

Sponsored Links
Hi matt,

Think the valve is a pressure releif valve,these are fitted to cover any pressure increase on the boiler through expansion. i myself would refitt a new one and pipe it to external even though it`s open vented.

Bow down to the expereance of the guys who have fitted these years ago without any prob`s

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back