Leaking radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I read through some other posts but it's hard to spot one with exactly the same fault. Forgive me if I'm covering the same ground. I've upgraded my central heating to include smart TRVs, but now when I come to balancing the radiators I have found that two of these valves are leaking.
This lockshield (?) valve pictured: when I close it completely water floods out. The water seems to be coming up around the threads. When I open it fully it stops. The hexagonal nut won't budge in the tighten direction. Am I right that the salvageable ones have two hexagons where you can remove and re-pack? Does this need a new one? Thank you!!

Attachments

• Image1701727322727655353.jpg
    Image1701727322727655353.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Mmmm it appears that none of my radiators are fitted with lockshield valves. I had assumed that the left side was the lockshield, but on this radiator they are both identical. They all had TRVs except for the one in the bathroom (as in the photo) which I replaced with Drayton Wi-Fi controlled variety. Reading up on lockshields they should have a cap on them that rotates but needs removing to adjust the flow? There's not one of those in the house. What a bummer..

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the bathroom rad would be fitted with 2 lockshields,that would enable the pump to continue to circulate if every other rads TRV had closed.
With regard to none of your rads having a lockshield ,show us some pics of what you think isn't a lockshield.

Ah maybe I'm mistaken. Here is one from a bedroom radiator...
PXL_20230220_223457720.jpg

The only difference between that valve and a lockshield ,is the fact that a plastic wheel head has been fitted ,which means anyone can easily operate it ,and probably cause the system to become unbalanced ,particularly if all of them are like that.
A domed plastic cap that doesn't operate the valve is what should be fitted.

Okay brilliant thanks. With these fittings you'd have to be very lucky in the average household not to have someone mess up all your hard work. So internally the mechanism is the same?

Yes every one is like that, and on the landing and the bathroom they are doubled up..

Okay brilliant thanks. With these fittings you'd have to be very lucky in the average household not to have someone mess up all your hard work. So internally the mechanism is the same?
Exactly the same.

Just pull off the plastic wheel head and see if it has a slot inside that mates up to the spindle.....maybe yours doesnt !

No they all do. There is a slot. I read somewhere of a similar situation and they suggested that the installer thought the TRV could do the balancing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back