Leaking Radiator Bleed Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve noticed a very slight leak coming from the bleed valve in one of our upstairs radiators.

It only leaks when the heating is off which makes sense as it obviously expands when it’s warm and seals the leak.

The leak appears to be coming from the bottom of the hexagonal nut where it goes in to the radiator.

The rad has a thermo type valve at the bottom near the floor at the bleed valve side.

I would be grateful for any tips on how to go about fixing this.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• iOS Image - 4128541497.jpg
    iOS Image - 4128541497.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 989
Sponsored Links
It probably leaks whenll it's on as well, but the drips evaporate before they are visible.
Is it leaking from the bleed hole or around the threads? Sounds like you suspect the threads.
Turn off both rad valves, open the bleed to release whatever little water is at the top of the rad, unscrew the whole bleed point with a spanner, (get a replacement if necessary) then screw the old or new one back in place with a few wraps of PTFE tape on the threads.
Then radiator on, bleed as normal, and happy life

Yes I recon the leak is coming from the threads.

I’ll get some ptfe tape and give that a go.

Is it necessary to count the number of turns made when turning the valve off?

Thanks very much for the advice. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
O rings are alright and often on new rads, but PTFE would be more reliable if you can get enough turns on the amount of threads there are. Maybe the aren't sufficient threads on the bleed valve, but use your judgement!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back