Leaking shower unit - Mira Sport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a Mira Sport shower unit which is approx 10 years old. We don't use it that much (it's in the 2nd bathroom) but I noticed a few days ago it was dripping from the bottom of the unit. Having a quick google around there are suggestions of scale buildup possibly on the inlet valve(?) - would this be easy-ish to fix for someone who's not massively DIY-savvy? It's not the end of the world if it can't be fixed but is there any way to stop the dripping? I've attached a couple of pics showing the area circled where the water drips into and then out of the bottom. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi.

Have a closer look at where it leaking from. Make sure the power is turn off before having a closer look. It may be from failed weld on flow valve or from the top of flow valve near micro switch.

Dan.

Hi.

Have a closer look at where it leaking from. Make sure the power is turn off before having a closer look. It may be from failed weld on flow valve or from the top of flow valve near micro switch.

Dan.
Thanks Dan. Sorry to appear dumb but could you advise where abouts the flow valve is, maybe on the pic? Thanks again.

Looks like the seal has failed between heat can and flow valve.
The flow valve is the black part.

Look where the silver sticker is you'll see the heat can join the flow valve, it has a o ring to seal the two.

Can you see scale around the join ?

Sponsored Links
OK I've had a further look tonight and attached a new pic with my findings. I think the join between the heat can and flow valve is ok, I certainly can't see any sign of scale around it. However you will see on the new pic that the leak comes over the flow part of this area (lower circled). Following the leak upwards I have circled the highest point at which I can see any water, it sort of sits on the edge of the circular bit sticking out from the flow valve (sorry for the technical terms!) and next to what is like a flexible piece of card. I can't see how it gets to this point though, or whether this is the source.
Any more suggestions gratefully received. At least I have managed to shut off the electricity supply to it from the fusebox so it won't blow if the leak gets any worse.
Thanks again.

It's poss it's coming out of where the white lever arm is that activates the micro switch or just behind that where the flow has a join in it.
Or poss from higher up around top of heat can where the metel rim joins the plastic part of heat can.

I would say it's the joint on the flow valve.

Thanks - if it were to be that, is it reasonably fixable - if I give a plumber a call would they be able to sort it out fairly easily in your opinion? Thanks again.

A new flow valve is about £35 depending on age.
It is fixable.
But as for a plumber who can, some won't touch electric showers, some haven't got a clue, some know them inside out and will do a good job.

OK - final question for now - bearing in mind I've switched off the electricity supply, is there anything more I could do myself (bearing in mind I'm no electrician) to pinpoint the exact leak source - there's a few screws around the heat can but not sure it looks that easy to remove the flow valve. To be honest I'd be happy for now just to shut off the water supply as we don't really use it that much - I'm not sure if there is an isolating valve though - presumably it would be under that cover on the left?

is there anything more I could do myself (bearing in mind I'm no electrician) to pinpoint the exact leak source

No more than i could only by running the shower and watching.

there's a few screws around the heat can but not sure it looks that easy to remove the flow valve.
They are fiddly to do.

To be honest I'd be happy for now just to shut off the water supply as we don't really use it that much - I'm not sure if there is an isolating valve though - presumably it would be under that cover on the left?

Very rare useally we fit them outside of shower on the mains pipe to it ie could be loft etc.

Pull the cover off but i doubt he has fitted one there.

The leak won't get worse overnight as the showers solenoid coil won't let water through when shower not in use.
But isolate the pullcord etc.

Has your shower cover got TEMPERATURE written above the dial ?

Just picking up on a couple of things on your last post -

"No more than i could only by running the shower and watching."

and

"The leak won't get worse overnight as the showers solenoid coil won't let water through when shower not in use.
But isolate the pullcord etc."

- but the leak occurs all the time, not just when the shower is on - in fact we've not switched it on for a day or so but it still drips. Initially I pulled the pull cord to switch the shower off and it still dripped - I've now switched off at the fusebox (I assume this makes the whole thing safe) but suspect it will still do so.

- but the leak occurs all the time, not just when the shower is on - in fact we've not switched it on for a day or so but it still drips.
Yes but thats more likely only the excess water sitting in the flow valve.
The solenoid coil won't let fresh water through from mains pipe unless shower is on cause the solenoid valve is shut.

Initially I pulled the pull cord to switch the shower off and it still dripped - I've now switched off at the fusebox (I assume this makes the whole thing safe) but suspect it will still do so.

You got to remember the shower is full of water all the time even when off
but no water can get into the shower from the mains when it not running.

Like a hose pipe turn both ends off but the hose is still full with water unless you drain it. ;)

But check the mains water pipe for any isolation valves.
If the leak is still bad when not in use then i would disconnect the water pipe and cap of till fixed or fit an isolation valve.

Ah ok, cool, so it should eventually stop dripping if we don't turn it on. It's been dripping probably now for 4-5 days.
Thanks again for your help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back