leaking toilet cistern overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The leak is not the usual outdoor leak, but the leak is just where the overflow standpipe thread connects to the pipe( which then leads out of the house) so it drips below the cistern and only when the cistern overflows and the water flows through the overflow pipe itself. The system is a bit old and appears to be of the solvent sort. I think it was messed around by a workman and then the leak started, as I say only leaks when the cistern overflows.

The overflow standpipe has a plasstic thread at the bottom which currently is fitted to a 6 inch approx verticle pipe then a 90 deg bend then goes out of the house in the normal way. This is where the leak is I think. It is a tight fit and difficult to get to and almost impossible to wriggle the pipe from the bottom thread of standpipe to introduce solvent to sort the problem.

I'm wondering what connector I would need to provide a watertight fit with the existing overflow standpipe. I've looked around without success. any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You could always change the flush mechanism for a more modern one with an internal overflow. If there's too much water in the cistern, it drains into the bowl. So you don't need an overflow pipe at all, although you'd need to blank off the hole in the cistern where the existing one was connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back