Leaky Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We had an edwardian style conservatory built earlier this year by a reasonably reputable local company. Unfortunately we have a slight leak from the roof. It shows itself below the 'top cap' or 'spider' They've just been back today for the third time to try to rectify it and basically removed the top cap, said they could see two holes in the 'foam/sponge' seal which fits below it, they promptly filled these holes with silicone refitted the top cap and sealed it with silicone as well.

I'm left feeling slightly stupid now as surely foam/sponge will simply absorb water?, and the top cap is held on with two screws - possibly the reason for the two holes?

Can any of you clever people tell me if this is a standard way of sealing this area on conservatories, or just a bodge?

Is it not more likely that the rain is running down the house wall and along the ridge? There is lead cut in but the lead on the ridge is below the top plastic ridge trim.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a Eurocell roof, that has a foam bung under the bell end, not for keeping the water out but stopping air, i.e draughts.

The main point to seal is not the bung but all the external trims to avoid water penetration. If the water is, as you say, running down the wall and along the ridge (not sealed either) and the bell end is not sealed properly it will enter.

Ask them not to keep bodging the finial cover but to seal all the ridge and it abutment to the wall.

Thanks for your reply brickie

I believe the conservatory is manufactured by Synseal, but it sounds a similar arrangement to that which you describe. Would you say that the leadwork should be over the top of the highest plastic trim, not under it?

Cheers

Nick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back